Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repair Advice For Sauer 38H

Default Repair Advice For Sauer 38H

Hi all...quick question. I have an externally immaculate Sauer 38H, but I can't get the darn thing to work properly. I have exhausted my "shade tree gunsmith" abilities and need to send this thing off for some work. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

brucers99,

can you please specify your problems more in detail? "I can't get the darn thing to work properly" can mean anything. Do you mean: it doesn't cock/decock properly? the cocking/decocking lever isn't working properly? Or?

Regards

Martin
    Value? Open an auction at GB or AA and in two weeks you'll know exactly....

In all honesty, I can't really describe it. The gun appears to have multiple problems. First, it will not cock properly. Second, the trigger doesn't seem to do anything when pulled. Third, the spring activated decocker is weak. I also believe that the small screw which engages the decocking mechanism has a homemade retaining piece which is catching up on the mechanism. I don't really know how to describe it because there are so many problems.

The spring on the cocking-decocking lever doesn't work?

Homemade piece?

Pictures?

brucers99,

please, check out this explosion diagram of a Sauer H:

http://www.cds-ehrenreich.de/ersatzt...ge/sauer38.jpg

this is of better quality than the one on marstar.ca here:

http://www.marstar.ca/images/sausohnb.gif

Nevertheless, I will refer to Marstar's numbers, because the parts are described in English:

http://www.marstar.ca/sausohn38s.htm

OK. Regarding the trigger: seems, the free end of the trigger bar (#17) doesn't work together with the other parts. Check, if the trigger bar is OK or not.

Next: most often, Cocking Lever Spring # 43 is broken or weak. Or wrong installed. Don't care too much for the retainer ring #36, if it is not too large.

Often, Sear Disconnector # 26 does not work together with sear #25 and with the hammer #21. I had this problem also with an early model H, in which some later parts were installed. The early (correct) hammer did not work together with the later sear, which was too large to engage properly.

For your convenience, I am enclosing here some drawings from a Sauer patent. Don't be alarmed: some details differ from the series models. But I find the drawings very helpful to understand the mechanism of the Sauer 38.

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Sauer-Patent1.jpg
    196.85KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Sauer-Patent2.jpg
    168.79KB

BTW and maybe important: what's the Serial number of yours?

As mark already said: pictures of yours with grips removed would be very helpful to detect the problem(s).

Regards

Martin
    Value? Open an auction at GB or AA and in two weeks you'll know exactly....

Default Sauer 38H - Post War - 512xxx - Does not cock via cocking lever

sauerfan/anyone,

I have a post-war model 38H (512xxx) pictured below. The firearm has a problem cocking (decocks just fine) via the cocking lever. The pistol does cock properly manually or via slide, just not the lever. I have read numerous threads which attribute this to 6+ different parts. Any way to narrow this problem down more definitively?

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

Thanks,
    hazedav
    Last edited by hazedav; 01-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Take the non-original left grip off and see if it will cock by pushing down on the lever. Jim Cate, author of the Sauer pistol books.....

Quote Originally Posted by jps-s View Post
    Take the non-original left grip off and see if it will cock by pushing down on the lever. Jim Cate, author of the Sauer pistol books.....
    Jim,

Thanks for your response. The pistol will not cock when pushing down on the lever with or without the grip installed. When I push down on the lever the hammer goes back far enough to catch, but does not. I know the hammer is going back far enough, because if I hold down the hammer once the cocking lever is depressed and then let go of the cocking lever the hammer will then catch. Here is a closer look at the internals.

Attachment 66154

Thanks,
    hazedav

I've had the same problem on several Sauers in the past. Most, if not all, were late war pistols. In most cases an entire sear assembly replacement was required to fix the problem. Secondly, switching hammers fixed the last one that had the problem. This sort of malfunction is the reason I have been gathering parts for years and years. Of late they have become rather impossible to find. I haven't found a gunsmith who has ever been "into" a Model 38 and fixed the problem. It's just been a 'hands-on' situation I have experienced during the years. Good luck, JIM

Quote Originally Posted by jps-s View Post
    I've had the same problem on several Sauers in the past. Most, if not all, were late war pistols. In most cases an entire sear assembly replacement was required to fix the problem. Secondly, switching hammers fixed the last one that had the problem. This sort of malfunction is the reason I have been gathering parts for years and years. Of late they have become rather impossible to find. I haven't found a gunsmith who has ever been "into" a Model 38 and fixed the problem. It's just been a 'hands-on' situation I have experienced during the years. Good luck, JIM
    Jim,

Thank you. This information helps quite a bit. I am running into the same situation with gunsmiths myself. It sounds like I am on the hunt for a matching hammer, sear, and sear disconnector.

hazedav

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast