Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

A Radom pistol in an HP holster.

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  drm2m 
#1 ·
I just came back from my cottage where I usually purchase some gun related piece when I am away on holiday,....some years have turned up some pretty interesting things.

This year I went into the local gun shop and the owner showed me a Radom Vis35 (P35p) pistol Sn.D3347 in a holster that did not look at all like the typical Radom holster,...but it fit like a glove.

My brain must have been asleep because it took me a day to realize that the pistol was in an HP holster.

The pistol had "red grips" and two E/819 marked magazines.

As I already have one Radom pistol Sn. N5075, (with black grips) and not being a passionate Radom collector, I decided to pass, as the gun had the same markings as the one I have. (E/77 & E/623.)

I would also have to find a correct holster for the Radom pistol, which adds costs to the exercise.

The owner of the shop suggested.....why don't you buy just the holster without the gun.

To make a long story short, I bought the HP holster with one of the E/189 Radom mags.

I told him that I thought he should sell the rig together with the two mags,....but it didn't seem to matter to him.

The brown HP holster is "dla 44" marked with a WaA195 acceptance stamp.(Karl Barth)

As it turns out, the HP holster that I currently own (shown in the three photos just below) looks like an unissued "clg 44" with WaAB66 acceptance stamp that always bothered me because it looked unused.

Download Attachment: 132 kbs front view of new High Power holster.JPG
133.05 KB

Download Attachment: 276 kbs clg 44 marking on Browning High Power holster DSC01320.JPG
280.33 KB

Download Attachment: 272 kbs WaAB66 marking on Browning High Power Holster clg 44 flap DSC01325.JPG
276.03 KB

This dla44 WaA195 marked holster looks like it has been used,.. with a little more character,.... so for $100 Cdn it was a cheap holiday as far as gun stuff is concerned. (Radom E/819 mag. and HP holster)

I remember holidays where the cost of the gun stuff was far more brutal.

Another example of pistols found in the wrong holsters.

Download Attachment: 282kbs front view of dla high power holster DSC02111.JPG
288.96 KB

The photo below does not do justice to the markings,...they are much clearer than the image shows.

Download Attachment: 292kbs markings on dla high power holster DSC02105.JPG
298.32 KB

Download Attachment: 272 kbs rear view of dla high power holster DSC02112.JPG
276.65 KB

The original holster my HP pistol came in,....three holsters for one gun,...how insane is that!

Download Attachment: 248 kbs Browning High Power pistol in original holster with spare magazine D SC01348.JPG
253.44 KB

The HP mags that came with the gun.
Download Attachment: 284 kbs markings on two Browning High Power magazines.JPG
290.87 KB

The Radom E/189 marked magazine that was part of the purchase this summer.

Download Attachment: 244 kbs right side Radom E189 marked magazine DSC02095.JPG
246.73 KB

The E/189 magazine markings on this magazine ...less than a perfect photo.
(I suspect this might be a later variation of the E/189 marked magazines.)

Download Attachment: 64 kbs Radom magazine markings DSC02109.JPG
64.86 KB

Another E/189 accepted magazine that I have with the pinned floorplate.(An earlier variation I think.)
(And a better photo.)

The bottom magazine in the photo which is partially shown is unmarked.

Download Attachment: 292kbs E189 and 77 marked Radom magazines and Eagle 189 mags.JPG
299.05 KB

If my memory serves me correctly, Al Hopmeyer once told me these "189" marked magazines were manufactured by the Warsaw Bicycle Manufacturing Company..... but that is only my memory????

We also discussed the "77" marked magazine,...of which he had one example,....and there were no conclusions?

The reason I decided not to purchase the "D block" Radom pistol may be partially explained by the photos below. (Same markings as the “D block” gun.)

The pursuit of this pistol would possibly take me further into a direction that I am currently not ready for.

Collecting a gun with multiple variations can become a quest that requires more than a little thought before embarking on the journey…in my humble opinion.

Download Attachment: Cropped sized Radom Pistol with holster and mags left side 017.jpg
294.18 KB

Download Attachment: Cropped resized right slide markings Radom Pistol 012.jpg
286.47 KB

Download Attachment: Cropped resized front Radom Holster 02.jpg
274.16 KB

Faint "bnz" ink stamped marking with WaA acceptance.

These WaA marked Radom holsters are becoming more difficult to find,...and that becomes part of the quest. (Not to mention the increased investment in the rig.)

Download Attachment: Cropped resized flap open shows lifting strap Radom Holster 011.jpg
277.29 KB

One of the underlying thoughts that I am sure everyone knows,... adding correct mags and holsters (if they are missing) are all part of the chase,...and certainly come at an additional cost.

The perfect world senario (possibly),...one buys a complete correct rig at a fair market price,.... as I suspect the sum of the additional costs of the missing components may eventually exceed what the rig is worth.

This is a pure investment perspective,...it does not account for the pleasure of the hunt to find what is missing!

David

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks James,.....yes.. a good deal every now and then is good for the soul,....and the pocketbook!

I never know what I am going to find when I go on vacation to my cottage.

There is a small country gunshop in the vacinity where I have purchased a number of pieces over the years, including a 1938 dated S/42 P.08 with two matching mags, a P.38 ac42 in a superb 1936 dated P.08 holster.

It is the fourth time I have found nice German WW11 pistols in the wrong holsters in this little shop.

#5 ·
James, like so many other things,....it is all about timing.

This shop serves the hunting community primarily, and the owner is a knowledgeable fellow, but not particularily on WW11 German stuff,.... on British and Canadian arms he is really up to speed.

I believe he takes most of the WW11 items on consignment, so it doesn't matter if he splits up a rig as long as the sale proceeds at the end of the day make sense to him.

He told me that not long ago, he got a BNZ K98k sniper all matching and correct that someone had hidden behind a gyproc partition wall in his house.

The gun was sold to a serious dealer for $10,000 US in a "heartbeat" who had a buyer in hand. (It would be interesting to know the price it was resold for.)

The owner of the shop is a patient fellow,...not inclined to negotiate,....as I have learned over the years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.