Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger ID Help - Year - Approx Value

dsteh Guest

Default Stoeger ID Help - Year - Approx Value

American Eagle crest on the chamber and DWM on top of rear toggle. The right side of the receiver is marked A.F. STOEGER INC over NEW YORK. The right side of the frame is marked LUGER-REGISTERED U.S. PATENT OFFICE. Front of frame is marked 78XX above an inspector mark(?) that looks like an italicized "i"or a cursive "t" and GERMANY below the inspector(?) mark. The upper safety lever area is marked GESICHERT, nothing on the lower lever area. The underside of the barrel is stamped with a single Crown "N" proof over matching serial number 78XX. It has the Crown "N" proofs on the side of the breech block and the left side of the barrel extension. There is a serial number "01" or "10" stamped on underside of the side plate and the rear of the toggle. The pistol has a blue finish with straw colored safety lever, trigger, take-down lever and magazine release. The sear spring and connecting pins are straw colored. The magazine has a nickel plated body and a wooden base.

I would have to research to get smart on this, but here is a link that might help (I also made it a sticky, thought it was)

http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5020

Welcome to the forum!

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Veteran Bring Backs Vol III 2012
    Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
    Have all books available for purchase

Don, it sounds like a Stoeger American Eagle exported to the US during the 1920's. I would imagine the "inspectors mark" you mention under the serial number is a lower case "t". It is part of the serial number. We refer to it as the suffix.

I assume that the serial number is either 7810t or 7801t. If so you should find the number 01/10 on the underside of the take-down lever as well as in several other places on the pistol.

You state that the safety area is marked "GESICHERT". I find this odd as I would expect all Stoegers to be marked "SAFE". How is the extractor marked, "GELADEN" or "LOADED"? Before judging its value, we would need to see photos.

The "GERMANY" stamping under the serial number, is it marked through the bluing or under the bluing? Is there a second such stamping on the right side of the frame near the Stoeger markings?
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

dsteh Guest

Geo,

It is s/n 7801 "t". "01" is found twice more. Germany is stamped through the blue and is a faded gold like the Stoeger markings. Germany is not found elsewhere on the gun. The extractor has no marking.

Until I learn to post, no pics possible.

The extractor marking will be seen on the left side of the extractor when it is lifted up out of the breech block as though it were securing a cartridge.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

dsteh Guest

keoki7,

The extractor says "GELADEN". Are the pics any help as to history of this piece?

Don, I am inclined to think that your Stoeger marked Luger is good. Stoegers have been widly counterfeited but yours looks legit. May we see a sharp close-up of the serial number on the front of the frame and bottum of the barrel? If you could remove the whitening from the "GERMANY" stamp that would help.

dsteh Guest

George,

Without taking new pics, I have this additional one for you. I am reluctant to remove the whiting and how to do this. What would the reason be for this?

The only whiting original to a luger is in the safety area "Geischert". All other whiting has been added to show the words, numbers etc.

By taking the whiting out and take clear pictures, you can see if the letters / numbers were added at a later time.

ed

PS: We'd rather you post pictures here on the forum, that way the pictures stay (many folks delete pictures from their account after a couple of months)

dsteh Guest

This will have to wait until Thursday - busy week ahead. What's the best way to remove it? Am I looking for bare metal or blueing? And what will either tell me?

Thanks for all your help on this. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast