Thread: Nazi FN Browning M1922 E/WaA613 Marked Rig

Default Nazi FN Browning M1922 E/WaA613 Marked Rig

I just recently acquired this excellent condition early FN Browning M1922 in 9mm Kurz (thanks to the much appreciated assistance of board member dgiz=Dean Gizzi). This is a rare first range serial numbered (64,971) Belgian proofed waffenamt (E/WaA613) stamped pistol. The first serial range 9mm Kurz models were part of the FN Dutch contract (63,000--77,000) that were captured by the invading German army.

Whittington in his book "German Pistols & Holsters 1934-1935" volume II states that the lowest observed serial number on a 9mm Kurz (.380) is 61,412 (with Dutch Crest) and the highest 77,790. There are some six digit serial numbered .380s in the 200,000 range that are considered the second serial .380 range. The total German procurement of .380 models according again to Whittington was approximately 17,000 while the .32 caliber procurement was approximately 363,200. It is believed that the first serial range single E/WaA613 waffenamt accepted pistols numbered just a few thousand.

This pistol does NOT have, as is correct, the Dutch acceptance marking. This one does have the lanyard loop (some did not). The (0ne) waffenamt stamp E/Wa613 is struck on the left triggerguard.

This pistol also exhibits three other pre War pre German occupation M1922 charateristics:
    1. Traditional prewar animal horn grips.
    2. Smaller guide grooves on slide.
    3. 82mm type three slide legend.

This pistol is all matching in four (4) places. Right frame, underneath the slide, on right barrel hood and on right side of slide extension/barrel lug. This pistol DOES NOT have any German Army test proofs ONLY Belgian proofs located on the upper right barrel hood and left side of slide and frame centered over trigger. This pistol came with two magazines one stamped with a number 1 on the right upper front side of magazine base plate toe and the other number 2. Each magazine bears the FN logo on the right at bottom with 9m/m under the logo mark.

Many of these early pistols were procured for issuance to the Luftwaffe. This one came in a excellent condition Theurmann Patent drop-type holster. On the rear belt loop of holster is the maker mark/date "cdc 43". Above that although somewhat faint is the still visible Luftwaffe acceptance stamp droop wing eagle 2 .(See attached photo)

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi FN Browning 1922 Left Side.jpg
    79.54KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi FN Browning 1922 Right Side.jpg
    76.28KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi fn Browning M1922 Rig.jpg
    77.63KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi FN Browning 1922 Holster Open.jpg
    61.99KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi 1922 Model Drop Holster Front.jpg
    73.37KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] 1922 Inside Ink Markings.jpg
    49.16KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi 1922 Holster Maker Mark & Date.jpg
    110.94KB

Wow! That is a very nice rig. I am envious. I love the high-gloss finish.

Are the markings you are describing Belian Military acceptance or are the Liege Proof House markings? Can you do close-ups?

My WaA613 has five waffenamt stamps, two on the frame and three on the slide, and has bakelite grip panels. It also has two German firing proofs, one each on the frame and slide.

That is an excellent addition to your collection. Congratulations.
    Darwin

Lloyd,
    An outstanding rig! I am glad you were able to get that for your fine collection.
    Those early WaA613 pistols are tough to come by.
    If you ever get rid of that one, call me first!
    Dean

It is interesting that the pistol is in a Femaru M37 7.65 holster. The holster looks a little dark but it also looks like a decent fit. Does it have shape marks suggesting it has always held a M22?

Dave

Darwin, Dean and Dave,

Thank you gentlemen for your nice comments and helping me sort out some of the finer points on this German marked FN Browning M1922 rig.

Dean many thanks for your help in locating this rig.

Darwin I have attached a digital photo of the left side slide and frame proof marks and thanks for helping me confirm their origin.

Dave, good eye my friend. I looked at the ink marking inside the holster flap but I guess it did not register until you brought it to my attention--this is indeed a Femaru marked holster. The M1922 fits it just as well as a Femaru--I tried putting my Femaru jhv/41 in the holster and it "fits like a glove" just like the 1922. The wear patterns do look like this pistol has been with this holster for quite some time. Thanks again for you input on the holster!

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Nazi FN Browning 1922 Proof Marks.jpg
    72.4KB.

Well, I got an email from the collector I bought the above described early FN Browning M1922 regarding the holster. Seems he realized he sent the wrong holster with the pistol (as was pointed out in a previous post). The holster I originally got was for a Femaru so I asked the collector about the pistol for it and it was available so I bought it. More about that pistol at a later date--suffice to say it is a nearly perfect condition jhv/43 in the 70,000 serial range. So, I got the right holster for the Browning today with the Femaru. Here are pictures of the correct holster for the Nazi marked browning M1922. This holster is pictured on page 20 of Bender's book "Military Holsters of World War II". Called a variation of the First Model Holster For FN Browning, M 1922.

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Browning M1922 Drop Holster Front.jpg
    68.33KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] FN Browning Drop Holster Open.jpg
    70.25KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Brwoning M1922 Drop Holster Rear.jpg
    66.02KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Browning M1922 Drop Holster Inside Ink Marking.jpg
    127.47KB

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] Luftwaffe E2 mark front of holster flap.jpg
    83.27KB

pzjgr Guest

I just ran across this thread, and found it very interesting. I too have a vet bringback Model 1922 rig.

Interestingly it is a Dutch contract gun, with the Dutch Crown over W crest on the top of the slide, but it is S/N 55691, well under the lowest observed s/n for Dutch contract guns accoring to Lloyd's post. It is in about the same very fine condition, same grips, and believe it or not, it came in a luft drop holster, exactly like in the first batch of Lloyds pics...including the Femaru markings...weird huh?

I received it directly from the vets son, and have the bringback papers with it. There was also the original ID tag tied to the holster. Maybe for some reason, they issued these holsters with these guns. Like Lloyd says, the gun and spare mag fit perfectly...

I can post pics if anyone is interested....

Oh, it is 9mm kurz....

pzjgr,
    The Dutch ones start about serial number 3000 and run well into the 50000 range. About 63,000 thousand were made. Some of the later ones may have been captured at the factory and marked with WaA613 on the trigger guard. Once guns were issued, the holsters were issued and replaced as needed. If a holster could be made to fit, it may have been used either by the Germans or the capturing GI's. Many Lugers came home in P.38 holsters and many P.38s came home in Luger holsters. Please see Anthony Vanderlinden,s "Belgian Browning Pistols" book for lots of great info and photos.
    Dean

pzjgr,
    I think yours has the correct markings for your pistol, the Browning. The caliber is off...I don't think the Germans marked them differently for the 9mm Kurz in the Brownings...I have never seen one. If someone has a 9mm Kurz marked one, please post a photo. The Femaru marking is on the top set of Lloyds post.
    Hope this helps a little. Dean
    Dean

pzjgr,
    Not sure if you got a chance to read my last post? I was looking at Lloyds holster and thought it was yours.
    Seems like a bunch of posts are missing.
    Dean