Thread: Luger Serial Numbers and Production Estimates

Default Luger Serial Numbers and Production Estimates

Gents,
    I'm very interested in an article published -according to Jan Still in "Imperial Lugers", pg. 16- in "AutoMag" vol. XXIII, pg. 118 titled "Luger Serial Numbers and Production Estimates" by Harry McTague. Does anyone have that article by chance?
    I contacted Mr. Tom Knox from NAPCA, and he couldn't find said article in the vol. and pg. Mr Still says it was published (!?). Thanks! Alvaro.

Hi Folks
    The Germans were wonderful at keeping records, wouldn"t it be great to take your luger"s serial number and have a book that list each luger manifacture"s date made,serial number,type and cal.

Ron welch

Ronald Welch

Alvaro
    My AUTO MAGS are scattered in various files and I cant find that issue. Try page 114 instead of 118.
    Jan

Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Alvaro
    Garfield found the index for the 1990 AUTO MAG and it lists "Production Estimates" by Harry McTague on page 114.
    If an AUTO MAG member can find their 1990 AUTO MAG please check this out.
    Jan

Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Welch

The Germans were wonderful at keeping records, wouldn"t it be great to take your luger"s serial number and have a book that list each luger manifacture"s date made,serial number,type and cal.
    The anal attitude of most Germans to keep meticulous records never ceases to amaze me. And it just became obnoxious during Adolf’s dictatorship: files on everything and everyone. Many people don’t know that the 6 million figure for the Holocaust was calculated by checking the German wartime train records. Something that the fascist bootlickers who tried to cover things up never even thought of trying to destroy. This whole “check the records those meticulous bastards kept” must be taken with caution though. For instance, Speer altered and destroyed some of his files, then tried to BS people in his book that he wasn’t a dedicated ass-kisser of AH and didn’t know jack about stuff. Von Braun shredded files he had on slave labor at his rocket plants, and got a hug and a kiss all the way to NASA for it. A lot of Oberndorf files were also destroyed. And just try to get an important German industrialist from WW2 to tell the truth about all the weapons he churned out for Hitler. I’ve also wondered if the basis for using serial number studies for production figures might have some hidden wrench in it. For instance, it is strongly believed that byf Kar.98k production for 1944 and 45 had a suffix letter for each month. I always keep in mind what Descartes wrote in the 17th century: that everything important we believe in might be wrong.

“Mitgegangen, mitgefangen, mitgehangen.”
    -Old German saying.

Thanks Mr. Still!