Thread: Value of 42/1940 Luger

Default Value of 42/1940 Luger

I just got my Dec. copy of the NRA's American Rifleman. Please go to the last page(p.92) and view the section called "I have this old gun..." which features a 42/1940 luger, serial
    #1913b. The author, S.P.Fjestad of The Blue Book of Gun Values, rates the luger, with a matched mag, at 95%. Incredibly, he asserts a value of $3,500 to $3,750!!! What am I missing here? I can only guess that he must own 4 or 5 of these (and that they're for sale).
    Tim H.
    TMHawkins

"When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil."
    --Thomas Jefferson, 1808

Tim, If one peruses Gunbroker's past auctions for a 42 code 1940 Luger in 98% condition with a matching magazine..http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=114700374
    One would find that $1500 or so was the highest bid. This pistol was relisted for some reason and I can only speculate that it did not sell at that price.

I feel that $3,500 to $3,750!!! is a tad rich yes.

I have always thought the Blue Book is a good quick reference but way behind the times by the time it hits the streets.
    I wonder how it is keeping up with the Nobama affect?

By the way... I thank you for the bumper stickers...I hung out around the Democratic headquarters and stuck them on several cars in the parking lot...wish I was around when they are discovered.

Jerry Burney

The Gun broker Luger shown: Mauser Code 42 Luger Dated 1940 Eagle L Police gun, serial #4169x, 9mm, 4 inch barrel is mixed military and police and not correct. In my opinion its a shooter and worth under $1000 and am surprised that it was bid up to $1500.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Jan,

For us newbies, what specifically is not correct on this Luger?

Thanks!

Kevin from MN
    The Luger is a cross between an a 1940 dated Army Luger and a 1940 dated police Luger. Its right receiver bears both a police E/L and a late Army test proof. Its barrel bears a late army test proof. Its middle toggle link has an Army 42. A police Luger should bear a Mauser banner. Such a cross does not exist. See page 71 (Army Luger) and page 159 (Police Luger) of the book Third Reich Lugers for a comparison.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Thumbs up

Thanks for the lesson. This is complicated stuff!

its why I have my boooks to rely on, I can only keep so much info in my head; that and cell phone numbers of friends

Ed