Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double dated Artillery question

Default Double dated Artillery question

I have a double dated artillery 1918-1920 #6542b
    I was informed that double dated artillery's are somewhat rare.
    Is this a fact, myth or reality?
    (3) photos attached.

Thanking you in advance for any information on this question.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by automan1; 01-28-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Looks to be in great shape...my 1917 artie also came with the aluminum bottom clip when i bought it in calgary,alberta in '86.

Ronald
    Thanks for the complement.

I guess no further information will be forthcoming.
    Thanks to those members for viewing this posting.

Bill

Bill
    Nice looking 1920/1918 LP08. The 1920/1918 LP08 is much scarcer than the 1918 LP08. However , I have not kept a consistent record and that is the only estimate that I can give.
    Thanks for posting
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

My experiance has been that ordinary double dates (those without Weimar unit markings) bring less than ordinary WWI army guns. Given that, Jan is certainly correct in that a 1918/1920 is a good deal more rare than a straight 1918. Actually I have found, and I'm sure that Ron Smith will agree, that even Weimar unit marked guns bring less than WWI guns.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Geo is correct. Weimar era military Lugers with or without the 1920 property and unit marks are much scarcer than Imperials, but just don't have the allure that "war-time" guns have. I emphisized war-time because few collectors realize that the early Weimar era was nothing but, an internal war, and a battle for the eastern border.

As I've stated before , you will find it was a very violent period in Germany's history. The Russians, Czechs and Poles were intent on overrunning Germany's eastern frontier keeping the Army and some of the Landjägerei units busy protecting the eastern border .

All the while the Nationalist Freikorps units were battling the Anarchists, Communists and even the Police. At times different factions of the Police were shooting at each other. Political assassinations were happening at the rate of a dozen or more per month.

Unfortunately Weimar Reichswehr Lugers just haven't received the attention that they deserve. I recall a time not too long ago that a Double Date Luger could be purchased for much less than a standard, very common 1920 / 1923 Commercial. The 1920 property mark was considered a detractor. Due to the fallacy that the 1920 meant that it was a "reworked" or arsenal refurbished pistol. This is not true.

Double date Artillery's are starting to come up in value a bit, but not where they should be IMO. Some collectors are starting to notice unit marked Reichswehr Lugers.

I recently helped a new forum member in purchasing a very nice Reichswehr unit marked Luger. His only interest afterward was trying to find a connection between the Reichswehr unit that it was marked to, and the Wehrmacht unit that it evolved into after the Nazis took power. He didn't seem to have any interest in the Reichswehr unit.

Sorry for the windy reply, but I think some collectors are missing the boat by over looking Reichswehr Lugers.

Ron
    Last edited by Ron Smith; 01-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.

Default double date

I am not expert in this discussion, I just post a photo of a double-date Artillery accessory (Imperial+ 1920). cv
    Last edited by laoshi75; 02-13-2009 at 03:34 AM.

Jan, Geo, Ron & Christen

Fellow members
    Thanks for the superb follow up information.
    I'll now enter this information that I needed to complete my records on this double dated 1918-1920 artillery.

Bill

Hey Automan1, is that an authentic MP-40? One of my favorite and most recognizable of all WWII weapons!
    Wayne-NC

Wayne,
    Yes it is....Ed has seen it when he visited me.
    I also have the M.P. 18, 1. which he also seen then.
    Both acquired many years ago.
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast