Thread: imported lugers

Default imported lugers

Hi all. I just picked up a nice 41 BYF P.08 luger with black grips and fxoP.08 magazine. It is a Century Arms International import with the marking on the uderside of the barrel. All numbers match except the sideplate. How much value is lost with the sideplate not matching and the CAI markings? Does anyone know how much they went for from CAI and how much it may be worth now. Ballpark figure is OK.

They are about the same in collector circles; a import marking brings the value down, not as much as say a shooter, but around $600-700

A mismatched sideplate brings it to a shooter so around $600-$700

All in the person wanting to buy it, a mismatched sideplate is more of a turn off for many folks than a import marking

Welcome to the forum!

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Veteran Bring Backs Vol III 2012
    Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
    Have all books available for purchase

Kernel,
    Originally these guns were in the $500 range, some more, some less. The obvious problem is that it's import marked, mismatched and probably dipped blued if from the old soviet union. Also, many lost their original grips. If the bore is poor or the gun has mechanical problems, then it's not even a shooter. At this point, it's relegated to a simple curio or wall hanger.
    Tim H.
    TMHawkins

"An armed society is a polite society".
    -Rob. A. Heinlein

Default luger

Thanks for the replies. From everything I can see on this luger, the only thing not matching is the sideplate. It has a three digit serial number with a X prefix. Black Grips. Finish looks original. Rifleing is very good and its mechanically sound, so at least it going to be a good shooter. At least it'll go with my Audy Murphy theme collection.
    Last edited by kernel; 01-27-2009 at 06:05 PM.