Thread: brown vs. black leather holster question

Default brown vs. black leather holster question

Why are some holsters brown and others black? Are those colors designed to match a type or style of uniform or branch of the German service? Or military vs. police vs. commercial or year made?
    Last edited by ted; 02-05-2009 at 02:29 PM.
    Ted L.

any body have any comments on this subject?
    Ted L.

Ted, the answer is yes and no. Prior to the weimar era, holsters and gear were brown (someone correct me if I am wrong)

Common feeling for many years is that brown equaled Luftwaffe and black was army.

I think that is fairly correct, but what can be said is that for army, they were told to make their holsters / gear black at some point (I don't remember when). The police, you see the rural police with brown gear and city police and others with black gear.

My gut feeling is that a larger percentage of gear to include holsters were black, as you don't see brown as often and costs more.

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Veteran Bring Backs Vol III 2012
    Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
    Have all books available for purchase

Great question, Fine answer? I myself pondered when I got my 1913 Erfurt yet my 1908 navy holster is black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cirelaw; 02-09-2009 at 05:07 PM.

PS, I must give credit to my Leather Hero, Jerry Burney who made it all possible.

Headline is Luger holsters 1933-1945.
    Armyholsters: You will find both, brown and black. Görtz reported that officers used brown holsters until 1940 or 41 if I remember correct.
    Navyhosters: Have only seen black
    Luftwaffe, Krieghoff: I would say darkbrown.
    Landjägerei: allways brown
    Schutzpolizei: black
    Commercial: most are black
    (all comments for holsters 1933- 1945)
    merzbach

Your the Diplomat, but whats the 'Landjagerei', 'Schutzpolice'Those ive never heard of. Please take a look on the back of my brown holster, a symbol of a crown or something.
    Last edited by cirelaw; 02-09-2009 at 09:22 PM.

According to Gibson" Some of the 1936 Kreighoff are brown and all of the 1937-1939 holsters are black. Is this really dark brown? Mine sure looks black. Bill

Imperial leather was brown until the Ministry of Defense directive stating that they all were to be black beginning in 1916. The brown stuff was dyed black...except for the pieces that managed to be skipped. That's why you see a lot of holsters that are brown on the back side (original), and black on the front side (dyed after 1916). Luger holsters, of course.

Default brown vs. black leather

The reason I posted this questions is because I aquired a brown 1939 dated MP28 Mag pouch not too long ago. All the other MP28 mag pouches I have ever seen have all been black and dated 1943. This made me wonder about this subject.
    Last edited by ted; 02-12-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Ted L.