Thread: Value of P08 Luger byf 41 non-matching serial numbers

Default Value of P08 Luger byf 41 non-matching serial numbers

I stumbled accross a nice looking P08 Luger that is marked byf 41 with non-matching serial numbers. It's not import marked, it has black grip panels, and the mag is marked "fxo" and "P08".

I realize that it doesn't have any collector value because of the non-matching serial numbers, but I wondered about what something like that is worth as a shooter?

Thanks

Moonlitin

Welcome to the forum.
    How badly is the gun mismatched? Which parts? Is all the finish original? Are they all original parts? What condition is the finish? What's the bore like? Has anyone tinkered with the gun? Is it mechanically sound?
    TMHawkins

"An armed society is a polite society".
    -Rob. A. Heinlein

The barrel didn't match the receiver, but most of the other parts did. It looks like the original finish minus some holster wear. The bore looks OK. I think all of the parts are original, they just don't match serial numbers.

It looked like it would be a great shooter, and conversation piece, but not a collector because of the non-matching serial numbers. The only "tinkering" that was obvious to me was some red paint or nail polish on the rear sight, but I can fix that.

I know it's hard to put a value on something like that, but the asking price was $499, which didn't seem too outrageous to me.

Thanks

Moonlitin

Tom,
    That's a good price for a late war shooter, if mechanically sound.
    Mike C.

Moonlitin... Welcome to the Forum. Can you post pictures of the barrel number and the other serial number ??
    dave

I went back this morning to buy it, and it was gone. Someone bought it last night.

I guess I can add another one to the list of "ones that got away".

Moonlitin