Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Legalties regarding repro shoulder stocks

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Edward Tinker 
#1 ·
Hi All!
I understand it is ok to use your original artillery or navy luger with an original stock but is it also legal in the us to use a repro stock with an original pistol or will one run afoul of ATF? I checked the stickies but couldn't find anything....

#3 ·
An original Luger or Mauser C96 with an original correct numbered stock is OK to attach.

A repro or non matched numbered stock attached to a pistol is a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and must be on a form 4 and the stock and gun papered with a $200 tax stamp.

Just in case any of you guys needed to know the answer.

I'm not sure if Inglis HP's had numbered stocks or if you can do that but I am pretty sure this information is correct.

Don't attach a stock to your handgun if you are unsure or you may be in violation of Federal Law.

Contact the BATFE for a clarification before you do something that is illegal.

Mark

#5 ·
I'm not sure about that and a call or email from someone to the BATFE may clarify that.

Why shoot a collectable gun anyway?

A display item is another issue and I would not attach the stock.

If someone from the BATFE would comment, it would be great.

Mark

#6 · (Edited)
Mark,
If you reference only the BATFE rules on Curio or Relic firearms, your statement regarding the legality of reproduction stocks is correct. However, Odin International, maker of exact reproduction shoulder stocks received the following letter in 1981 that legalized the use of reproduction shoulder stocks. The name of the Odin representative has been redacted from the official BATFE online document, but it is otherwise as originally written. Lots of folks legally use repro stocks on less than collector quality LP08s and enjoy the shooting experience.

1981 letter on use of reproduction Luger and High Power shoulder stocks

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20226

MAY 29 1981

T:T:F:CHB
Dr.
Odin international
Fairfax, VA

Dear Dr. :

This refers to your letters of March 13 and March 30, 1981, in which you ask that certain Luger and Browning Hi-Power pistols equipped with reproduction shoulder stocks be considered for removal from the provisions of the National Firearms Act.

It is not the policy of this Bureau to render a classification on a shoulder stock which in and of itself is not subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act or the NFA. However, as you are aware, certain Luger and Browning Hi-Power pistols when accompanied by original shoulder stocks have been removed from the purview of the NFA.

Our Firearms Classification Panel has examined your request and it is their opinion that the above mentioned pistols equipped with currently made reproduction shoulder stocks which either duplicate or closely approximate the dimensions and configuration of the original stocks would also be primarily of interest to collectors
and not likely to be used as weapons. Therefore, any Luger or Browning Hi-Power pistol which would be removed from the purview of the NFA if equipped with an original shoulder stock, would also not be subject to the NFA if equipped with a reproduction shoulder stock which either duplicates or closely approximates the dimensions and configuration of the original stock.

It must be pointed out that should one of the subject reproduction stocks be attached to any handgun which has not been specifically removed from the purview of the NFA with an original stock, the combination would be subject to all of the registration and transfer provisions of the NFA.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]
C. Michael Hoffman
Assistant Director
(Technical and Scientific Services)

#8 ·
Interesting to note that the letter only mentions --- "any Luger or
Browning Hi-Power pistol which would be removed from the purview of
the NFA if equipped with an original shoulder stock, would also not
be subject to the NFA if equipped with a reproduction shoulder
stock which either duplicates or closely approximates the
dimensions and configuration of the original stock."

It does not mention any other pistol.

#9 ·
I have several letters like this; one was for a request by a friend named Mike and several others.

I beleive these letters are or were posted on the forum, maybe just the luger forum. I have scanned in copies of the letters from the BATF.

In addition:
(M24) If a person has a pistol and an attachable shoulder stock, does this constitute possession of an NFA firearm?
Yes, unless the barrel of the pistol is at least 16 inches in length (and the overall length of the firearm with stock
attached is at least 26 inches). However, certain stocked handguns, such as original semiautomatic Mauser
"Broomhandles" and Lugers, have been removed from the purview of the NFA as collectors' items.

[26 U.S.C. 5845, 27 CFR 479.11]
Notice it does not say, original stocks, just original guns...

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.