Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P ammo in a Luger P08?

Question +P ammo in a Luger P08?

Hello!

This is my first post on the forum as I just received my first Luger in the mail today. I know next to nothing about these neat pistols, but I really like the design and workmanship - the trigger is pretty nice, too!

I tried some Magtech and Independence (Blazer) 9mm and had pretty good results with the Magtech. It cycled most of the time, but was cycling short sometimes because it did not always hold the slide open on the last round.

Is it safe to run hot +P type ammo through these pistols?

I don't like the idea of hot ammo, especially in a gun of this age, but it seems that it may prefer a little more power to properly cycle the action.

Last edited by jjjxlr8; 06-13-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: added photo of new toy

NO, it is a myth that the luger needs hotter ammo.

DO NOT DO IT!

I blew out a breachblock using some stronger ammo once.

Normal, Winchester 9mm works great, and it is usually a magazine that is not working correctly or the rounds are not long enough.

Welcome to the forum!

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Veteran Bring Backs Vol III 2012
    Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
    Have all books available for purchase

Good to know.

I do not have the original magazine, unfortunately, I am using some Italian Mecgar mags.

What is the typical problem(s) with the magazine?

I did notice that it has a little play in it when it's installed but I've never handled another Luger for comparison so I don't know how the mags are supposed to fit.

Also, the slide requires a fair amount of effort to pull back...I assume that it's typical, but again, nothing to compare with.

I use only MecGar mags for shooting my P08. They work superbly. A little bit of play in the mag well won't hurt anything. For the toggle, its supposed to be a bit difficult to pull back because its working against a strong spring. Congrats on your first Luger; I'll bet that its not going to be your last.

Charlie

I use Winchester white box in mine and it works fine.I see its your first Luger.Did you clean it and have it well lubed before trying it at the range? If its not lubed properly it may not lock the toggle back consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by relics View Post
    I use Winchester white box in mine and it works fine.I see its your first Luger.Did you clean it and have it well lubed before trying it at the range? If its not lubed properly it may not lock the toggle back consistently.
    It was clean, but maybe not as well lubed as it is now.

After cleaning last night, I used a military gun grease on the sides of the slide and on the striker.

What is recommended for lubrication on these Lugers?

Break free clp or any good quality gun oil should be all thats needed.Just make sure the moving parts are lubed.I don't use grease on mine just a little CLP on the moving parts.

Hello, and welcome to the forum,
    Winchester, Federal, any quality 9mm ammo. Ed is correct, stay away from the hot plus P and sub-gun stuff, break a part and you're gonna have a big expensive problem. I'm a little out of touch as to whats in the country in imported 9mm right now, but I'd stay away from Russian, and especially Chinese, it's ok for an MP-40, but don't feed it to a Luger.
    As to lube, CLP is excellent, and lightly, definately not any type of grease. So shoot that bad boy, and have fun, they're sweet.
    Mike

Is your Luger a Russian Capture? I can not tell from the picture what it is or how it is marked? WW2 or WW1 ?

Well, if all that is required is a little CLP, then the pistol was probably adequately lubed when I had the feed problems. I'll wipe off the grease from the breech block and firing pin and just use CLP.

Besides ammo power and lubrication, what else might cause the action to not cycle all the way back regularly on the Luger?

BTW, I think it is a Russian re-work, but I don't know for sure. It has a DWM marked barrel extension and rear toggle link. I was told by the previous owner that "the slide is from a 1906 Bulgarian contract" but I have no idea how to tell.

It's not a collector piece, but will hopefully make a good shooter once I get the slight cycling problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast