Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

+P ammo in a Luger P08?

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  jjjxlr8 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

This is my first post on the forum as I just received my first Luger in the mail today. I know next to nothing about these neat pistols, but I really like the design and workmanship - the trigger is pretty nice, too!

I tried some Magtech and Independence (Blazer) 9mm and had pretty good results with the Magtech. It cycled most of the time, but was cycling short sometimes because it did not always hold the slide open on the last round.

Is it safe to run hot +P type ammo through these pistols?

I don't like the idea of hot ammo, especially in a gun of this age, but it seems that it may prefer a little more power to properly cycle the action.

See less See more
#2 ·
NO, it is a myth that the luger needs hotter ammo.

DO NOT DO IT!

I blew out a breachblock using some stronger ammo once.

Normal, Winchester 9mm works great, and it is usually a magazine that is not working correctly or the rounds are not long enough.

Welcome to the forum!

Ed

#3 ·
Good to know.

I do not have the original magazine, unfortunately, I am using some Italian Mecgar mags.

What is the typical problem(s) with the magazine?

I did notice that it has a little play in it when it's installed but I've never handled another Luger for comparison so I don't know how the mags are supposed to fit.

Also, the slide requires a fair amount of effort to pull back...I assume that it's typical, but again, nothing to compare with.

#4 ·
I use only MecGar mags for shooting my P08. They work superbly. A little bit of play in the mag well won't hurt anything. For the toggle, its supposed to be a bit difficult to pull back because its working against a strong spring. Congrats on your first Luger; I'll bet that its not going to be your last.

Charlie

#8 ·
Hello, and welcome to the forum,
Winchester, Federal, any quality 9mm ammo. Ed is correct, stay away from the hot plus P and sub-gun stuff, break a part and you're gonna have a big expensive problem. I'm a little out of touch as to whats in the country in imported 9mm right now, but I'd stay away from Russian, and especially Chinese, it's ok for an MP-40, but don't feed it to a Luger.
As to lube, CLP is excellent, and lightly, definately not any type of grease. So shoot that bad boy, and have fun, they're sweet.
Mike

#10 ·
Well, if all that is required is a little CLP, then the pistol was probably adequately lubed when I had the feed problems. I'll wipe off the grease from the breech block and firing pin and just use CLP.

Besides ammo power and lubrication, what else might cause the action to not cycle all the way back regularly on the Luger?

BTW, I think it is a Russian re-work, but I don't know for sure. It has a DWM marked barrel extension and rear toggle link. I was told by the previous owner that "the slide is from a 1906 Bulgarian contract" but I have no idea how to tell.

It's not a collector piece, but will hopefully make a good shooter once I get the slight cycling problem solved.

#13 ·
I'll take some detailed photos and post late tonight or tomorrow.

I did not try anything except two type of ammo. I received the gun in the mail a half hour before I was heading to the range. I field stripped it just to make sure there were no obvious issues and then fired about 40 rounds through it.

I do have a second Mecgar mag but did not try it. The thought of the mag being the issue never crossed my mind.

I'm not sure I understand how the magazine could prevent the action from staying open after the last round. It seems like the ammo isn't powerful enough to push the action all the way back.

I need to take a closer look at the pistol tonight while I'm taking pictures...

#12 ·
Hi Again,
Failure to cycle can be usually traced to ammo. Light bullet weight, less than 115-123 gr, light loaded ammo, {don't touch any old CCI Blazer} or grease in the action.
For what it's worth, your pistol looks like one of the old Interarms imports from the early 1960s, Russian, rebuilds via way of East Germany, {not a bad thing}. They had every kind of part known to man on 'em, usually re-numbered. {I had about a dozen back in the day}
Bulgarian will have the national crest on the middle toggel section, and DWM scrolled on the reciever ring {chamber}. Ya might wanna pull the grips off and check if the mainspring is packed solid with cosmoline. All of the East German guns were, {they dipped them in grease after rebuild}. If so a can of Gun Scrubber { break cleaner from your friendly auto parts store is the same, at half the price} Hold the frame butt down, blow it out, {it drys instantly} a little CLP on the pivot points and spring, and rock on, shoot that puppy.

#14 ·
Mecgar magazine

If the magazine follower and button don't move high enough to activate the hold-open latch when the last round is stripped, thats exactly what it will do. I've never used anything but original mags when fireing Lugers, so have no expirence with any aftermarket mags. I don't think your pistol has any serious problem, just a combination of small things, don't worry. Lugers can be finicky, as the Germans can attest {think P-38}.:)

#15 ·
The DWM marking on the barrel extension (receiver) makes it a 1908 Bulgarian. The DWM toggle is from another gun, the original Bulgarian toggle would have a rampant lion in a shield marking. The 1908 Bulgarian was the only Luger that swapped the DWM logo and the country crest on the receiver and toggle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.