Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1906 American Eagle 9MM

Default 1906 American Eagle 9MM

This is the second of four lugers I have been offered in trade. It is as titled - serial number 38097 - has a 9mm marked magazine - it is valued at $4500.

Is this a fair valuation? All four lugers are from the Mike Forte collection - who was a restorer on the East Coast. I have no idea if it was restored but it looks pretty new to me.

http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Sorry about the poor camera work, but I sux.
    Last edited by Rogerbutthead; 07-10-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Looks very nice. If restored, no its not worth it.

if original, its in the ball park. However, if you can't tell the difference if original or restored; then I would be hesitant to make a 15-20k deal...

ed
    Edward Tinker
    Veteran Bring Backs Vol III 2012
    Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
    Have all books available for purchase

I looked at your albums. Without having guns in hand, my impression is that all four are restored, but I could be totally wrong. Mike was a master restorer. It is sad that he was struck down at a relatively early age. He really knew Lugers.
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Mike Forte was a master craftsman and said to be a restorer for some of the biggest Luger retailers in the land. Keep that in mind and turn it over in your head as you drift into sleep tonight.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Can someone give me a valuation on these pistols (as restored) so that I can make a counteroffer?

I don't want to insult the dealer. He did tell me where the pistols came from and that the guy was a restorer.

Thank you.

I looked at Mike's work several times at Louisville and the metal work was excellent but the Blue always seemed off color to me. I can't say about the guns you're asking about because the photos are not good enough.
    I'd be surprised if they are not refinished. All of his guns that I looked at always looked the same. If he had an original that was not refinished it always stood out to me because of the color.
    As far as value, that's a personal decision for you. I don't have any idea but probably 50% of what the dealer is asking.
    Tom
    Just looked at the other guns you posted. I believe halos are normal on the bug proofs and would show refinishing. I see Ed said half also.
    Last edited by tomathvl; 07-11-2009 at 06:59 PM.

A friend of mine has an '06 9mm American Eagle for sale. It's an excellent original finish gun but has a mismatched commercial side plate. He is asking $3000.

My experiance has been that when a pistol has been "professionally" restored be very careful. Refinishing can hide or change many other faults such as renumbered non original parts.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Default Correct post

After some careful practice of the art of omphaloskepsis, I must correct my previous posting regarding the color of Mike Forte's refinishing. I confused Mike's work with another refinisher and withdraw my comment regarding the color of his work being off.
    Tom
    Last edited by tomathvl; 07-11-2009 at 07:07 PM.

"Omphaloskepsis"...now there is a word that rarely comes up in casual conversation! (I have an "innie" by the way...TMI, I know)
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Oregon/California - All over looking for Swiss Lugers & nice old Martin guitars.

Rogerbutthead,

Save your money and be patient and buy factory-original Lugers in the best condition you can find.

Refinished guns will always just be that...a refinished gun...and your selling-audience in the future will be a limited smaller group of collectors.

Your seller/dealer at least is being honest about what he is offering...but maybe his prices are just not "right"...as the guns are still re-finished pieces.

Best Regards, Pete...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast