Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Help with Reichs Revolver possible purchase

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  CBrown 
#1 ·
I've been offered this revolver for $675.00. I'd appreciate any opinions on it's acutal value and with the unit markings. The sideplate is marked "V.C.S. C.G.H. SUHL". The blueing appears all original. The bore is nice and shiney. All the numbers I can find match including the grips (he let me remove them). The marking on the backstrap is "A.M. XIII.5.9." On the bottom of the frame it's marked "L.K. 275". Sorry for the low quality pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
jb, Heinrich Harder is our Reichsrevolver expert, but I will take a stab at this. The A.M. marking means Field Artillery Munitions Column and the frame marking may mean Truck Depot (Lastkraftwagenpark). These are taken from Jeff Noll's book on Imperial German Regimental Markings. This reichsrevolver was made by the "Consortium" of three makers and the price is very good. I would grab it! This looks like a great piece!

#4 ·
Hello, I have collected Reichsrevolvers for a long time, I also agree that this is a good price.

I agree on the consortium.

I believe though that the L.K. marking is a police unit.

I have a Nickled Reichs that also has the L.K. marking on the frame.

I had a humpback mauser in the past that also had the L.K. marking.

Good Collecting, signalman

#8 ·
signalman, I would be very interested in knowing more about your nickle RR: manufacturer? serial number? L.K. weapon number? Any military markings?

jb, the L.K. marking is a Weimar-era marking. The pistol was reissued to the rural police of Württemberg after WWI.

#9 ·
Hello Don,

Serial Number on the Reichs. is #89 all matching, It is a vcs-cgh consortium pistol. I see no traces of blue under the nickel - ~ 80% finish. L.K. 18 . No other unit marks. S under the barrel just in front of frame. I was told this was a Saxony mark, but not sure. No prussian eagle.

Good Collecting, signalman

#10 · (Edited)
signalman,

Thanks very much for the data. The one I have listed in HWIS from the same manufacturer(s) is SN 22 marked L.K.52. It is pure speculation but I have a hunch that the revolvers with low serial numbers were issued to the Württemberg Landjägerkorps just before or during WWI when their numbers were depleted and others, such as the one jb posted, were added from military surplus after the war when this force was restored to its pre-war strength of about 600 men.

#16 ·
Heinrich,

Vielen dank mein Freund! jb's markings now make a lot of sense. Many of the members of the Imperial-era Landjägerkorps were transferred to the Feldgendarmerie just prior to WWI. This pistol may have belonged to a Landjäger who was transferred and later returned to the LK.

#20 ·
jb, thanks to Heinrich Harder, I now know what to look for and am able to determine that your revolver was Imperial accepted (Imperial proof eagle on left barrel flat preceeding the serial number). Detailed photos of this fine weapon will still be appreciated.

#21 ·
Another LK marked M83

Also thanks to Heinrich Harder, I have learned of another Imperial-accepted M83 with a history similar to that of jb's revolver. It is serial number 5394 from the same V.C.S.*C.G.H. consortium with I.M.XIII.3.16. (Infantry Munitions Column 3, 13th Army Corps, weapon 16) on the rear grip strap and L.K.236. on the bottom of the frame.

I also learned that this manufacturing consortium was composed of V.C.Schilling & C.G.Haenel. The three-company consortium mentioned earlier in this thread manufactured M79s and consisted of these two plus Sauer u. Sohn.

#22 ·
I have recently learned of the existence of Pickelhauben (spiked helmets) of the Württemberg Landjägerkorps with property markings such as LK 01 and LK 03 (e.g., http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh37.htm). The numbers in these markings indicate the year the helmets were placed in service and confirm that the marking LK or L.K. was used during the Imperial and Weimar eras in Württemberg. This changes my opinion expressed in HWIS Chapter 16 that Landjägerkorps items issued during the Imperial era were not marked until the Weimar era.

#23 ·
I report M83 V.C.S. & C.G.H. SUHL SN 72, L.K (no period following the K) over 80. on the front underside of the frame; blued, all matched, no military inspection stamps or military acceptance anywhere, 10,55 caliber stamp on barrel flat in usual place, S on underside of barrel flat; crown over crown over U on side of cylinder between chambers 1 and 6; lanyard ring loop present but no lanyard ring as found.

#24 ·
Craig, thanks for posting this info. It perfectly fits the pattern of two sources of M83s for the LK, one pre-war and one post-war. The first source was a pre-war purchase by the LK, perhaps the first contract for Schilling & Haenel. These pistols have low serial numbers and LK property numbers and no military stampings. The second source appears to have been from a military procurement for the Württemberg XIII. Armeekorps, perhaps issued to the Feldgendarmerie, that were transferred to the LK after the war. These have higher serial numbers and LK property numbers, military acceptance/inspection stamps and military unit markings as well as the LK markings.

#25 ·
M83 Reichsrevolvers issued to the Württemberg Feldgendarmerie were marked F.G.XIII.(no.)
and the two so-marked I have are Mausers with Württemberg (antler) acceptance. I don't think you can establish a direct Feldgendarmerie link to the L.K. jobs unless you have an F.G.XIII.-marked piece with an additional L.K.
Something else to look for....

#26 ·
Craig, thanks very much for adding to my meager knowledge. I did not know that the Württemberg Feldgendarmerie had a unique mark. Since they were disbanded following the war, I felt it was logical that the personnel and their weapons may have been transferred to the LK. However, I agree there is no evidence that was the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.