Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Kreighoff Luger 4569

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Pete E. 
#1 ·
I was just looking Lugers on Pheonix Invst. and saw a 36 dated HK listed as # 4569 with a matching magazine. I have a magazine #4569 in my collection. In fact it is sittting in my 36 dated HK #4556. If the owner of gun number 4569 wants to do some trading i would be available. Best Dave

#2 · (Edited)
Is your magazine marked as a spare? Just curious as the magazine on the PIA site is not. Also interesting to note that the gun is noted as having "Germany" on the frame in Tom Whiteman's Kreighoff serial number list. However, "Germany" is nowhere evident on any of the photos of the gun.

#8 · (Edited)
Doing some file housekeeping and came across my photos of HK Luger SN-4569.

The photos go back to a 4-25-2005 Greg Martin auction. Sorry about the photo resolution. I think 2.0 mega-pixel was leading edge, then.

Note the "matching" magazine with the gun has non-HK number fonts (especially the closed-top "4").

First HK Luger I recall seeing with the "Germany" stamping (and which is under the bluing). Member StanD mentioned that in Post # 2, but apparently PIA did not show a photo of the marking at the time they had it for sale.

Frame does not seem to have the typical HK fat/robust frame "ears", either.

Receiver "notch" not the typical HK shape.

Looks like some oddities with the LW stampings on the right side...at least from these photos. That is; one eagle has a "2" which is way too large and another eagle has a "2" not centered with the bottom of the eagle but seemingly off to one side.

And the "3" of the "36" chamber date stamp appears to be "off" too...as if the top of the "3" was stamped/overstamped with a small "7" die...???

From subsequent posting by member gill120 in 2012 in another thread; it appears he still has/had the original (i.e real) HK Mag 4569.

Good thing.

#10 · (Edited)
Dave,

If another gun with SN-4569 shows up, I will be sure to let you now. I have been able to add over 1,000 more reportings on my version of the HK List...but so far no other SN-4569 gun.

I did add a close-up photo-crop of the frame SN's (in my previous post) and it does look like the "Germany" marked frame does have an " open top 4 "...but that was correct for DWM too. But I think the receiver frame with its odd LW stampings, its closed-top "4", and the "36" on the chamber are probably boosted.

PIA chose not to include this gun in their Sales Archives section. :rolleyes: That tends to be significant when they do that.

I suspect the practice of "Germany" stamping did not continue in the Nazi-era in Germany. Have not seen it on any of the P-Code commercial HK Lugers we have in our photo-studies.

Most likely the Germany-marked frame has it origins in the 1920's or so.

#11 · (Edited)
Gun with SN-4569 was offered on the old Greg Martin auctions back on 4-25-2005. It is reported going hammer-down for $ 4,500.00.

Then offered, again, by Greg Martin in 2006. That time it was a No-Sale at the time.

Here is a Posting about it when with G-M...this time in 2007 :

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?10198-36-HK-w-Germany-Stamping

More recent sales history about this fake SN-4569 :

Sold by Legacy $ 7,550 on 8-2013. East coast collector's consignment gun. Bunch of dealers refused to buy it at Allentown, PA gun show, Legacy took it on consignment.

Sold by Legacy 2 times, sold by PIA once, and Greg Martin tried to sell it 1-2 times earlier than that.

Smelly turd sure make the rounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.