Thread: Requested Pics of Early 1900 German Rifle

Default Requested Pics of Early 1900 German Rifle

I was requested to post up some pictures of my old German rifle.

My father brought this back from Germany after WWII. Firearms were being turned in after the war as new town governments were being set up. This rifle was turned in by a local Count and appears to be a custom made hunting rifle.

It is a single shot, 5,6X52R European caliber (22 Savage High Power in the US) made by Carl Stiegele. It has claw scope mounts that I didn't want to mess up so I had a gunsmith make some custom claw mounts that fit the stock mounts and then mounted the modern scope to those blocks.

It has some wear but is still a beautifully crafted rifle.

Brad
    Last edited by bgarland; 09-06-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Hi Brad,

I can't make out the wording. What does it say on the side of the chamber? The Germans knew how to build sporting rifles. That is one beautiful rifle.

Ron

To the left, it says:

Krupp-LAUFSIHAL

Then to the right of that it says:

Carl Stiegele, Hofgewehrfarrik ( I think..tough on my old eyes)
    Munchen

Here's a link to original picutes if you want a full size copy you can zoom in on.

http://bgarland.smugmug.com/Other/Ge...41080671_CHcYj

Brad
    Last edited by bgarland; 09-06-2009 at 03:18 PM.

It is a beauty. I believe it is what would be classified as a "guild gun" or one that was custom finished by a local gun smith. The barrels are Krupp steel and I would bet that the lock and receiver blanks came from Suhl, quite possibly Merkel. It would be well worth mounting an appropriate period German scope on that fine rifle.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Oregon/California - All over looking for Swiss Lugers & nice old Martin guitars.

Brad,

What a beauty...thanks for taking the time to post photos !!!

Best Regards, Pete...

Geo,

Not to correct your statement, but to clarify. The term Guild Rifle has become a generic term for Old World German Sporting or Stalking rifles.

A Guild rifle usually doesn't have a maker's name on it, although often the name of the town or city will be found. They were built by a group (guild or partnership). One would do the metal work, and pass it on to the stock maker, who would shape and fit the stock. He would in turn send it to the bluer, and so forth. When it was finished they all shared in the profits. Guild rifles were usually simpler, and a lower grade economy gun.

Maker marked rifles were built in a single shop, either by one very skilled gun builder, or a group of his employed craftsman and apprentices. Then marketed by the builder / owner with his name on it. These are almost always of higher quality and detail than Guild rifles.

I have been addicted to German Sporters for a long time. I've owned a couple of originals, but never had the nerve to actually hunt with one for fear of damaging it and reducing the beauty and value. So, I build my own from old half sporterized Mausers. That way I don't worry about them being damaged, too much.

Here's one that I just finished, almost. I have another in 7x57 in the works. And also have a .303 Lee Speed Sporter that I'm building in various stages of pieces.

Sorry, didn't intend to high jack Brad's thread. Just got excited...

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Smith; 09-06-2009 at 04:41 PM.