Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P08 DWM with strange markings

pedricktown new jersey, retired and live in Lima, Peru

Default P08 DWM with strange markings

Hi, I just bought an original luger with matching numbers and perfect strawing and original rust blue. The interior are shinny steel. The weapon in untouched. The strange part is on the safety side of the main frame is clearly marked, " R. G. 240" the letters R.G. are a bit larger then the 240 number. The weapon is 9mm and does not have a dated chamber. Anyone have an idea as to what these R.G.240 may mean. The serial number is 74061 marked on the frame under the barrel. It seems like a longer then the usual serial number. I was told it is a commerical luger from around 1920's....and gave 900.00 for the weapon...Thank you in advance. dgiorgi

Reichsgendarmerie weapon 420 is what it sounds like. These were an imperial police force in the Reichs territories of Alsace and Lorraine. The pistol is probably a model 08 commercial. If these assumptions of mine are correct you have a very rare and valuable pre WWI Luger. Photos would help.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

Congratulations, you have found a rather scarce unit marked variation. It is a 1914 Commercial diverted to police service. It was issued to the Reichs Gendarmerie headquartered in Strassburg. According to Jan Still the estimated production is only 200 pieces. Nice catch. Please post photos!!!

Dang, George beat me to the punch again!
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Thanks guy's, nothing like hearing GREAT news on a perfect piece...I will be posting pictures soon as I figure out how and take some of the weapon. Much thanks to you guy's , this site ROCKS!!! Dave
    Last edited by dgiorgi; 09-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Dave, I want to add my congratulations on having acquired and extremely desirable Luger at a remarkable price. The Reichsgendarmerie was the Imperial police force in Alsace-Lorraine from soon after 1871 to 1919 when this region was stripped from Germany under the terms of the Versailles Treaty. My research suggests that there were slightly over 400 Lugers with this marking -- more than Jan's estimate but still a very small number. Additionally, most of the surviving examples are in France. More about these pistols can be found in Chapter 18 of my book.

I too look forward to seeing photos! Does it have matching mags? Is there an R.G. marked holster?

Thank you to all for the congratulations and the expert help in identifing this model P08. It's such great news to know what you have and it's place in history. I have uploaded photos of this weapon in my photo album but I do not know how to post them here. All are welcome to view my album and any comments are appreciated.

To answer your question Don, the clip does not have the same serial number nor does the holster that came with it. In all my years collecting, I have only had one S/42 luger with the serial number matching the weapon, the holster also had the name of the owner it was issued to and number serial number written inside flap on an original tag. The spare clip was a different number and the loading tool was also non- marked on that model. Like a fool I sold it all for 600.00....I know, I know, You don't have to tell me it's worth. But I sure would like to know the value of the weapon I just aquired. I will definately be buying your book Don...any Luger collector MUST have it. Thanks again Guy's. Dave.

Default pictures

I added pictures on my profile phot album...still trying how to get them posted here, yes I read the article explaining how , I am sure it's me....but I will get it done. Anyway view them in my album. Thanks, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hey one actually made it through....dgiorgi

David
    Your 1914 Commercial DWM, serial number 74061, marked (engraved) R.G, 240 above its left grip is a collectors prize. Don and keoki7 (George) have given your Lugers history in detail.
    Does your Luger have a stock lug?
    R.G. marked Lugers are described in word and picture on pages 64-74 of the new book Central Powers Pistols.
    Thanks for posting
    Jan
    Although dated the links below gives photographs and history.
    REICHS GENDARMERIE LUGERS http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=32

TWO 1914 DWM COMMERCIAL, R.G. LUGERS, SN 74200 ANDJan C Still http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...hs+Gendarmerie
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Hi, to answer your question it does have the stock lug. Any ideas on the value of this weapon...Thanks all, Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast