Thread: Odd proof marks for 1934 Mauser

Default Odd proof marks for 1934 Mauser

I recently inherited my fathers gun collection and in it there is, what my research shows, a Mauser 1934 pocket pistol.

It has the Eagle over M - so it is Kriegsmarine.

Serial numbers match in all places, but no marking on clips.

From what I can tell there are only two proofs that sit behind the rear sight. Crown and Eagle.

This gun has neither, the only place I could find a picture of this marking was on a Luger P08 site.

http://www.gunsworld.com/p08/p08_proof4_us.html

The marking is #42

This has got me stumped, which is why I'm turning to the experts. Sorry I don't have a digital camera, serial number is 565XXX. By the way why is it that people x out the serial numbers on these posts?

Thanks for the backup guys.

Mark

Mark – First this post should be in Axis pistols 1933 – 1945 German: German Mfg. (non-P08) Pistols & Holsters. Because a 1934 Mauser is .32 not.25 (6.35) caliber. You are lucky to have a Kreigsmarine marked variation. The 2 proofs are the Crown/U and the Eagle/N. The marking you describe as #42 on the Gunsworld link is a Crown/U sometimes called a double Crown/U. It means your example was made before 1940 when the German proof was changed to the Eagle/N. Regards,
    B. Mason
    NRA life member, NAPCA member
    Aim small, miss small.

currysage1

People x out the serial numbers at times due to privacy concerns and sometimes required by law ( Canada).

Does your KM Mauser have any markings on the front grip, could be an O or N followed by a few numbers.