Thread: German Revolver ID help?

Default German Revolver ID help?

Can someone identify the maker of this revolver? It is said to be in .32 cal. Not sure if it's .32 Colt or .32 S&W short.

I've seen one like it someplace, but don't recall where. The only markings are German proofs.

Thanks...

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Smith; 01-26-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Ron, There is a German made 'Polizei-Revolver', no.1016, on page 145 of Zhuk's "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns" which closely resembles your gun except for the lanyard ring. Apparently these 'Bulldog' style revolvers were popular with the police during the 1880-90's and are considered a generic category as they were made by numerous companies. The caliber was probably the .32 S&W or the European equivalent. Turn of the century German gun catalogs also show a number of similar Bulldog style variations. Question: Would Belgian made guns of that era sold in Germany be required to be German proofed also? I believe at this time the two countries did not accept each others proofs.
    Last edited by DickMcEvoy; 01-27-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Proof comment added

Ron,
    On Kristopher Gaisor's website "Collectable Firearms and Edged Weapons" (collectablefirearms.com), he is currently listing a revolver that is very similar to yours except it has a non-fluted cylinder. He has it listed as a "German Webley RIC Type Revolver", the RIC I believe refers to the Royal Irish Constabulary. He states his revolver is chambered for a 9X16mm cartridge. He also references Zuck and Heinrich Harder's "Der Reichsrevolver und seine Varianten", but none of the examples in Heinrich's book look quite like this one. As Dick stated, these Webley Bulldog/RIC styled revolvers were pretty popular and several variations made in Germany and Belgium turn up. Simpsons currently has a real Webley M.P. Model in this configuration with a slightly smaller grip and no safety "on hold". It is a hefty 450 caliber.
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

I think it is an imported revolver.
    merzbach

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if it could be Belgian made. It seems that most German pistols have the manufacturer's name on them. I was considering buying it, since I have an affliction for these little revolvers, as well as Webleys.

Ron

Is it Dutch?
    TMHawkins

"When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil."
    --Thomas Jefferson, 1808