Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

HUNGARIAN MODEL 29M

10K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  wayneo 
#1 ·
HUNGARIAN MODEL 29M, SERIAL NUMBER 13557
In 1929, the Hungarian military adopted the Model 29M. It was manufactured by Fegyvergyar, Budapest, Hungary, for the Hungarian military from 1929 to 1936. The Hungarian crest is on the left trigger guard. The approximate serial range is 1 to 50000.

Download Attachment: M29M1.jpg
31.45KB
Figure 1. Hungarian Model 29M, serial number 13557. Left side. The Hungarian crest is stamped on the left trigger guard.

Download Attachment: Sept14 096.jpg
31.51KB
Figure 2. Hungarian Model 29M, serial number 13557. Right side.

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is my SN 11333.
Download Attachment: 29ML.jpg
81.49 KB

Download Attachment: 29MP.jpg
80.92 KB

They are two types of side inscripts.
The early pistols are left side marked:

FEGYVERGYÁR BUDAPEST 29 M

Highest SN I have seen is yours 13557.

The late pistols are left side marked:

FÉMÁRU-FEGYVER ÉS GÉPGYÁR R.T.29 M

The lowest SN I have seen is 22 235.
I have never seen SN above 42790. And you?

Jan "Hoba" Balcar

#3 ·
Magyar - English Pocket dictionary for 29 M & 37 M fans:

áru = ware
es = and
fegyver = weapon
fém = metal
füst = smoke
gépgyár = machine works
gyár = works
minta = modell
nélkülli = less
pisztóly = pistol
reszveny = stock
társaság = company
tölteny = cartridge
R.T. = stock company

Jan "Hoba" Balcar

#7 ·
I have a Model 37, serial no. 180879, caliber 9mm Kurz. It came with a finger extension magazine marked 29M on the base. Would these pistols have been supplied with 29M mags? I also have a flat bottom 37M mag which is identical with the extension mags in every respect except it lacks the extension and is unmarked. Is there any way to tell if it is original?

G
#8 ·
I have flat base mags marked 29M and 37M. The hardest one for me to find was a 29M with finger rest. The holster for my (11000 range) 29M has a pouch for 2 spare mags. Were flat bottoms used for spares? JL

G
#11 ·
Hello Dean Gizzi,
The 29M was still in service when the war started, and some numbers of the WWI. modell Frommer Stop as well! High ranking officers sometimes used to carry smaller guns, like Frommer Babys, and Frommer Liliputs (Lilliputanian in English).
Regards,
radom1

G
#14 ·
Hello Dgiz,

The situation is not simple with the ownership of the Hungarian "issue" pistols.

1. Traditionally (and usually)all the professional officers used to buy their own sidearms. These guns most often were the same as the official issue arms of the military like Frommer Stops, 29.M s and 37.M s, but sometimes Frommer Babys and Liliputs were also bought for this purpose.

2. Those officers who took part in the WWI, sometimes kept their WWI issue arms like M1898 Rast-Gassers, Gasser Officiers, 8 mm Roth-Steyrs, and Steyr Hahns when the war was over. When they were called up for military service (usually to the home front) again during the WWII they brought their WWI issue pistols with tham.

3. The NCOs and the reserve officers were supplied with the standard issue pistols by the Hungarian military. But if they wanted to buy their own, they were allowed to do that.

Best regards,

radom1

G
#15 ·
This is my first post, I realize this is a rather old thread. For those who may be interested, I have a 29M that came with a 37M mag, functions just fine. Also, the serial number is 226XX and the left side is marked FEGYVERGYÁR BUDAPEST 29 M.
Most of the finish is gone but the grips are still in good shape.
I've attempted to field strip this but as of yet cannot figure out how. I've tried twisting the barrel, pulling on the guide rod, can't get anything to move.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

#16 ·
The accounts of 29M pistols turning up with 37M mags is becoming more and more interesting, as I have just acquired two more 29M pistols with 37M mags, for a total of three. I'm beginning to think that some of them came this way originally, but can't figure out how it may have come about. Any ideas?

#17 ·
HUNGARIAN MODEL 29M, SERIAL NUMBER 13557
In 1929, the Hungarian military adopted the Model 29M. It was manufactured by Fegyvergyar, Budapest, Hungary, for the Hungarian military from 1929 to 1936. The Hungarian crest is on the left trigger guard. The approximate serial range is 1 to 50000.

Download Attachment: M29M1.jpg
31.45KB
Figure 1. Hungarian Model 29M, serial number 13557. Left side. The Hungarian crest is stamped on the left trigger guard.

Download Attachment: Sept14 096.jpg
31.51KB
Figure 2. Hungarian Model 29M, serial number 13557. Right side.

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator
Hello I was wondering if your still active have a lower serial number than any of the ones listed I would like some more information if possible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.