Thread: Sauer 38H - Odd Magazine

Default Sauer 38H - Odd Magazine

I recently bought a variation 4 Sauer 38H (military blue finish, no safety lever, serial left tang), sn 484XXX. It's a nice condition matching E/37 pistol. When I cycled the slide for the first time, much to my surprise, it locked back. When I dropped the magazine, the slide released. The first and third photo are the magazine with the locking slide behavior, and the second photo is a normal lat-war magazine.

I have a number of Sauer 38Hs and none of them lock back. The magazine is a typical late-war stamped sheet metal floor plate model. On examination, I discovered that the magazine has an unusual follower that is higher up in the pistol. The pistol locks on manually cycling the slide, but I'm not going to try to see how it fires until I understand it. I exchanged the magazine with another variation 4 Sauer 38H and the odd behavior follows the magazine.

Has anyone ever heard of such a modification to the magazines? Any thoughts or comments?

Sauer 38H Magazine 02.jpg Sauer 38H Magazine 03.jpg Sauer 38H Magazine 04.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Like_Old_Guns; 04-03-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Roger
    NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
    Handgun Racks - www.ArmoryRacks.com

Hi Roger,

most interesting and unusual! I have never seen such a follower. Can you please disassemble the magazine and examine the follower?

Maybe somebody made the follower for himself - maybe the Sauer factory? I don't think, it was made by Sauer, but who knows. In any case a very practical device I wished to have on other Sauers too.

Regards

Martin
    Value? Open an auction at GB or AA and in two weeks you'll know exactly....

Hi Roger
    My opinion someone lost original follower and made another one.I think it is aftermarket or home-made product I don't think,it was made by Sauer.
    Regards, German

Here are some close up photos of the unusual follower. I wasn't suggesting it was Sauer manufactured; it's most likely not. It looks well made, but I don't think that it was made simply to replace a lost follower. It looks to me to be very carefully machined to provide the slide locking function. I haven't cleaned it yet, so the photos show the gunk on it as received. It does look quite old and well used.

Sauer 38H Odd Follower (1).jpg Sauer 38H Odd Follower (2).jpg Sauer 38H Odd Follower (3).jpg

Sauer 38H Odd Follower (4).jpg Sauer 38H Odd Follower (5).jpg
    Roger
    NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
    Handgun Racks - www.ArmoryRacks.com

Hi Roger,

thanks for showing. Most interesting. I agree: looks to be very carefully machined to provide the slide locking function.

Regards

Martin
    Value? Open an auction at GB or AA and in two weeks you'll know exactly....