Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ruby firing pin?

Just finished repair works. SleazyRider, you're right, I was able to tap out the firing pin retainer from the bottom. The firing pin broke (was a one-piece construction). I grinded a piece of a 4mm cylindrical hard steel to make the firing pin and used a concrete nail for the retainer pin using the same dimension of the old one (although the new one is slightly bigger in diameter for me to force-fit it into the slide hole). Instead of using non-metal mallet, i used a tap hammer but taped the slide with tape to prevent possible scratches when hitting the slide's surface (the pin cooperated so much that the tapping resulted into a nice pin curvature...). I also replaced the hammer block pin (the old one is somewhat bent already in the mddle) with a hardened 4mm steel bolt. Good to go.

Did you fire it? If so, I'd like to know what you think.

By the way, I found a few .082" diameter roll pins in my stash, so if you ever decide to replace that concrete nail with a roll pin just PM me with your address and I'll get one out in the mail, assuming it's the same diameter as mine. Keep a close eye on that pin when you fire it, because if it works it's way out during a range session, you'll find yourself on your knees for hours with a magnet searching for tiny parts (ask me how I know!). The nice thing about the roll pin is that it exerts a side pressure in the hole and doesn't move.

Congratulations for seeing the project through to the end, and on a job well-done!

Initial "test fire" I've done is insert a telescopic pointer (old walkie-talkie antenna) with a brass bottom end into the barrel (after raking the slide), pointed the muzzle of the gun to a folded towel, pulled the trigger, and voilą! the antenna flew right on the towel. Not bad, that means the firing pin exert enough inertia to shoot "the arrow", so to speak. Second "test fire" is I loaded up a magazine of 0.32 blanks and fired them all with each successfully ejected from the port. Really good to go!

Thank you SleazyRider on the kind offer on the roll pins. I guess your 0.082" diameter is same as 2.0mm grinded concrete nail I made. I'll keep that in mind. You know what? Roll pins are good channels for lubricating the internal gun parts. Maybe if the concrete nail found its way out after wear and tear, I'll probably make a thread on the bottom hole and replaced the firing pin retainer with a threaded pin. I came to this thought based on the diagram (page 4) from this link http://www.scribd.com/doc/16193811/T...stol-Explained. As you can see, there is a screw below that holds the slot of the firing pin in-placed. I guess the threaded idea is more robust in holding the firing pin as you will never...ever....use a magnet searching for it at the range ....

I made an awful pictures yesterday so I decided to have a much clearer view...here it is again...(I better take a close-up shot of that rampant lion again before it runs ).....
    100_0049.jpg New firing pin already installed.
    100_0095.jpgNot much protrusion on the firing pin end (on the breech face). I've learned and wrote in my notebook that pin protrusion for centerfire rifles & handguns ranges between 0.050" & 0.060". I think I better look for that source again.
    100_0094.jpgNice curvature of retainer pin on top of the slide. No burrs.

My next project on this gun maybe is how to address the terrible trigger pull.

Well, again, your post helped me a lot. I greatly appreciated the learnings I got from you.
    Last edited by pjk9hp; 06-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.

First post here and sorry to revive an old thread but i have a spanish bufalo that has a very similar firing pin and your post has helped me understand how the firing pin works. I need a firing pin broken or not to use in comparison to making a new one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

GONRA sez: Great Home Gun Smithing Success!
    Next time - make largest possible RADIUS where small diameter "pin" reaches full diameter rear.
    Reduces stress, breakage potential......
    Be sure to polish this area too to further reduce stress concentrations.
    If you wanna go completely nuts, shot peen the area too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234