Thread: Dreyse 1907 .32 need help

Default Dreyse 1907 .32 i need INFO

I just got a Dreyse 1907 .32 from a local gun show iv been looking to pick one up for a while now but never found one for the price I wanted to spend. This one got for 100$ haven't fired yet but seems to function well. I took the gun completely apart and has all matching # on every part.

iv been looking up info on it. and from what i have found out i believe its a older one before the revised versions. it has the notch under the muzzle for take down on the upper frame.

On the left side of the upper frame it has (from top to bottom) Dreyse, Rheinische Matallwaaren&Maschinerfabrik,Abt.Sommerda.
    It has the N with the crown on the slide, upper and lower frame. i know that the N means before 1940, the crown is proof fired if I'm Wright. And it has RMF on the grip. so from what i have researched I think its a early model. And if I'm Wright its a German test proof gun?

BUT 2 things I don't know is. all the serial # that iv seen online have 6 numbers. this one has 5? serial # 62457 has it on every marked part. then the mag It came with has numbers as well (top to bottom) top#160, bottom#525 with II next to it. I haven't seen on like that yet.

any ideas? could use the help.
    Last edited by stuttterbuttter; 06-14-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Default pics

pics are up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default pics

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is an early model. The early ones have vertical serrations on the slide. Later guns have slanted slide serrations. It seems that your mag has been around the block a few times!! It is the 2nd (spare) mag noted by the II. It was once numbered to a gun, then renumbered to another gun. You must remember that all German guns (as well as most other countries), proof fire each gun, so the Crown/N is nothing out of the ordinary. Nice early piece!!

Dave

You might not have the prettiest of Dreyse's but you got $100 worth of grips out of the deal. Congratulations.
    " 'To everything there is a season...a time for war and a time for peace'. and this is the time for war". Reverend Peter Muhlenberg, January 21, 1776, Woodstock, Virginia

thanks for the info. i knew nothing about the mag thats good to know that helps a lot. i didn't know the grips where worth what i payed. the crown with the N iv seen on every 1. i didn't know if the serial # having 5 instead of 6 meant anything?

I'm a first time user/new, so I hope I am not out of line. This being a Dreyse discussion, excited me.
    stuttterbuttter, not a bad example of a .32 Dreyse. Great find, enjoy shooting.
    Here is what I have found with my Dreyses. Olefogey identified the slide steration as an early version; in addition, the early versions did not have the finger notch to release the slide/barrel assembly. That notch was added shortly after the start of WWI so it would be easy to break down for cleaning (they probabaly forgot to tell the users about caution--strong spring tension). The crown/N is just Germany's nitro powder proof. Yours is not a commercial export pistol, there is no "GERMANY" above the slide c/n. Besides the # matching on the mag (1st time I have seen that), the mag is a real Dreyse mag, not an aftermarket (the finger toe shape and dimple). Unknown if police or military, I have read articles (don't remember where), pro/con regarding military acceptance stamps. The s/ns I have yet to find conclusive support as to starting with and ending with to indicate when, who or where.
    Misc: bulged barrels are easy to overlooked, look close; the loaded indicator "cap", even though it looks like it unscrews with a slotted screwdriver, does not unscrew; and, do not expect a 1" to 3" group at the range.
    Great little German pistol that is underrated and overlooked with a unique design.

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=artmccann;148837]I'm a first time user/new, so I hope I am not out of line. This being a Dreyse discussion, excited me.
    stuttterbuttter, not a bad example of a .32 Dreyse. Great find, enjoy shooting.
    Here is what I have found with my Dreyses. Olefogey identified the slide steration as an early version; in addition, the early versions did not have the finger notch to release the slide/barrel assembly. That notch was added shortly after the start of WWI so it would be easy to break down for cleaning (they probabaly forgot to tell the users about caution--strong spring tension). The crown/N is just Germany's nitro powder proof. Yours is not a commercial export pistol, there is no "GERMANY" above the slide c/n. Besides the # matching on the mag (1st time I have seen that), the mag is a real Dreyse mag, not an aftermarket (the finger toe shape and dimple). Unknown if police or military, I have read articles (don't remember where), pro/con regarding military acceptance stamps. The s/ns I have yet to find conclusive support as to starting with and ending with to indicate when, who or where.
    Misc: bulged barrels are easy to overlooked, look close; the loaded indicator "cap", even though it looks like it unscrews with a slotted screwdriver, does not unscrew; and, do not expect a 1" to 3" group at the range.
    Great little German pistol that is underrated and overlooked with a unique design.