Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ralph Shattuck

Default Ralph Shattuck

It saddens me to inform the Luger Forum that Ralph Shattuck died today, on his 81st birthday. He has been in failing health for the past month or so. I donít have any information about final arrangements.

While Ralph, in his later years was somewhat controversial, there is no doubt that he was one of the leaders if not THE Leader in making collecting of the Luger a great endeavor. His passion for the gun inspired others to learn about and collect this beautiful, deadly, but fascinating thing we call the Luger.

His knowledge was encyclopedic and anyone who spent any time with him came away more knowledgeable.

He taught me a lot and I hope he was my friend.

My thoughts go out to Nancy, who BTW is having her own health problems on the loss of her husband and soul mate.

I will miss him.

John

May he rest in peace.
    Charlie

A giant of the Luger collecting community has left us. My heart goes out to Nancy and family. Whatever dealings you may have had with Ralph, he still was one of the Luger collecting pioneers and was in a large part responsible for the hobby as it exists today. I am deeply saddened by his passing.
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

I am shocked and saddened to hear this news. During my early years of Luger interest/collecting in the 1950's I kept seeing this Shattuck name on many rare and desirable Lugers pictured in books (Datig, Jones, etc.). With the advent of the Forum, then the World of Lugers web site, and then many Reno shows, I finally got to meet and know the man. He took his later threats to his integrity with great pain, telling me that "these people" just didn't understand and that he always wanted to see that his customers were satisfied. He took back two Lugers from me without batting an eyelash because there were some minor, but unadvertised flaws. He was a giant in his field and was respected by all who really knew him. For years he literally set all Luger prices single handedly, and fairly, I might add. There will be a great emptiness at the Reno show in three weeks. I hope they set up his table anyway and place a flower on it....he deserves it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    drbuster

Default De mortuis nil nisi bonum.

In my early years of Luger collecting, I bought several guns from Ralph. In looking through my records now, I can't believe what good deals they were. He was a true pioneer in the field of Luger collecting. My heartfelt sympathy to Nancy and the rest of the Shattuck family.

I am sorry to hear this, on every occassion that I met him, to include 3 or 4 visits to his house, he treated me with respect and friendship.

When my wife's father died, we were on our way back from Texas and stopped for a few minutes, which turned into several hours. He was gracious and friendly to Terry, making her feel better.

A friend that saddens me that he is gone.

Ed

Although I never had met him, it is impossible to deny Mr. Shattuck as one of the greatest names when you talk about Lugers. The Luger collecting is what it is in part because of this man’s efforts.

May he rest in peace and give his family my truly and deepest condolences.

Douglas

Default Ralph Shattuck

I read that Ralph Shattuck passed away today. I met him once at a show, an interesting person to talk with. May he rest in peace and his wife Nancy and family find comfort.
    Francis

VIS35....aka/Blind Hog
    "Even a Blind Hog sometimes finds an acorn"

Debbie and I will miss Him! We never knew our lunch in Orlando would be our Last. Nor would I have the privalege like some of to visit Luger World. Our sincere hope and wishes go out to Nancy and family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast