Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Numbered black plastic magazine study

I did a little testing with my handy dandy Craftsman and got some pretty deep marks pretty quickly with it on it's high setting. Thoughts and comments appreciated....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    dave

Dave,
    Ever consider that the black bottom is not Bakelite and that is why you got the marks? In my testing 4 magazines with the hot needle 3 no smoke and the pin prick mark which was hard to see. One magazine base smoked and the needle went in to the hilt very easy. Conclusion: three were Bakelite and one was another type of black plastic. I also checked out Bakelite in the encyclopedia and found the same information as above. It does not re-melt. The hot needle puts a lot of heat in a very small place on the test target. David_O

David... Thanks for your thoughts. I am pretty sure this is an original FXO mag. I will try it again and keep track of the time on both heat settings and watch for smoke. I spent 40 odd years in the steel industry and I think about anything will melt given enough heat.
    dave

Dave,
    When you finish your test, just for the fun of it, would you send the magazine to me for a hot needle test? I will return it with my results.
    Heat may consune many materials and they do not melt during that process. This will be a good test.
    I need to find a junker Bakelite item. I would test it with a hot needle then a large propane torch I use to set slash piles on fire. Would it melt or be consumed. I wonder if the wife has a button I could use for the test. Will check it out. David_O

David.... I will be glad to do that. Good idea.
    dave

Default Bakelite Test

A_MG_0527.JPGB_MG_0530.JPGC 100_4163.JPGD_MG_0532.JPGE_MG_0534.JPGF_MG_0536.JPGDave M.
    I did obtain a red Bakelite button, through honest means, to test the Bakelite properties. I tested it with the hot needle and the results were a small pin prick that can be seen between the 2 thread holes. Next I used the hot needle and tested inside the thread holes and there was a small pin prick (Photo A). There was no odor nor smoke. I then drew a line using the hot needle (Photo D) and then I made a line by just laying the hot needle on the surface (Photo E). Again no smoke or odor. The surface is smooth without raised edges around the line or around the point mark. I do not believe it melts the material. The material is consumed.
    Next I used the pictured small propane torch (Photo C). The flame is blue. I held the tip of the flame on the button for 35 seconds. During that time a mass of small sparks were flying every direction from the button. I observed no melting, the material did not continue to burn when the flame was removed, and the material showed a blackened surface (Photo B) which will flake away when handling. There was the small crack/opening/separation of the material on the one end. There was a slight odor in the garage from the burning. I also did a cross section of the button to display the depth of the burn (Photo F).
    Conclusion:
    Heat could have been used to place the serial numbers on the Bakelite leaving no ridges as with melting of plastic. I traded my only numbered Bakelite magazine sometime ago and do not remember the depth of the number in the material.

David.... First picture is "before" and the second is "after" Held point on left hand side on low setting for about the count of 20 and got just small dot. Held again for about the count of 20 on the high setting and got the the indentation shown on the right. No smoke or odor on either.... Mag in the mail to you today. Have fun and thanks for your input.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by taudelt; 03-29-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    dave

Dave
    GT is sending broken Bakelite Mag bottoms to test on. I think more heat ='s the more material being consumed. I wonder if on a low heat setting and testing just plastic would the melting/damage be more than the small pin prick on the magazine. My Hot Needle Tester has only one setting and that is plug it in. I gets very hot in a short time. David_O

Dave, some time ago, I said I had a numbered black plastic bottom fxo magazine. Well, I found it and I'm sorry to say, I think it's been altered. It doesn't appear to be engraved or branded, but more "stamped". At any rate, I have included a "poor quality" scan.Ku Mag.jpg

Frank... Thanks for the picture and for joining in.
    dave

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast