Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauer 38H Police Ersatz Holster (?)

Default Sauer 38H Police Ersatz Holster (?)

I bought a Walther Model 4 that was advertised with a holster. The Walter was pictured lying on the back of the holster, but I didn’t give the holster much thought in the price I paid for the Walther. The holster is marked “SCHAMBACH & Co. BERLIN 1943" with an E/Swastika. Construction is laminated fiberboard, except for a cowhide closing strap. The magazine pouch holds a Sauer 38H magazine nicely. The holster looks barely used to me. Can anyone confirm this is for a 38H and ersatz? How about an estimate of what such a holster is worth?

38H 01 - Copy.JPG 38H 02 - Copy.JPG

38H 03 - Copy.JPG 38H 04 - Copy.JPG
    Roger
    NRA Endowment Member and CRPA
    Handgun Racks - www.ArmoryRacks.com

I don't think, that it is for a Sauer. Normally you can see a mark on the mag pouch if a Sauer mag was in.

Günter

Günter, I agree the telltale dimple is not present on the holster, but all that says is that it never housed a Sauer 38H magazine. That kind of makes sense, since the holster came with a Walter Model 4 in it. My question is what pistol was the holster originally made for. It seems to match up to being a Sauer 38H police holster. Thanks,
    Roger

Roger,

I recently sold 3 of these by the same maker and date. They are from Russian Capture storage, and they are for Sauer pistols. I intended to mate them to 1934 Mausers, but they didn't fit. A Sauer collector bought them from me.
    I bought mine directly from the seller in Latvia along with 3 original Astra 300 holsters. All were in as new, unissued condition.

Ron

Ron, that makes sense, and explains why it is basically unused. Do you mind PM'ing me the name of the Seller and / or some way to contact them? I am in the market for an Astra 300 holster. Thanks,
    Roger

It looks like the closing strap's hole has been monkeyed with, but in all fairness any 1943 or 44 ersatz police holster that is marker marked and dated is a very scarce holster. In other words, the vast majority of ersatz holsters were not marked / stamped because the logo had a tendency to disappear on the man-made material. I also think it is a correct assumption that the reason no dimple on the spare magazine pouch is present is because a Sauer Mod. 38h mag was never placed in this particular holster. Lastly, I like it because it is a "marked" example. If we consider how many leather holster survived as compared to how many 'ersatz' holsters have survived, we can readily see that the ersatz holsters are much more collectible than most of the leather examples that were made for the smaller pistols like Sauers, Mausers, Walthers, etc. Thanks for sharing......JIM

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate your commenting on the holster. I’m pretty happy to have unexpectedly ended up with a scare holster.
    Roger

I know I'm in the minority, but is there anyone else like me who is willing to state he does not believe these "caches" of holsters found in Russia are real?

Aaron, There are holsters reported to be from Russian storehouses ...I have studied all I could get my hands on and if that is indeed where they came from they have to be authentic.
    I took a very close look at the holster above..It is without doubt authentic. I can't say where it might have come from in the last 60 years but it was made by the Germans in 1943.

Some holsters arriving on the market today leave me scratching my head but this is the real thing.

Jerry Burney

Jerry, I believe you are correct! I have several of the holsters that have come out of Russian storage. I've seen numerous "repros" on the German Ebay, but it seems like the majority of the authentic / genuine III Reich holsters are slowly, but surely, disappearing into collections. Historically let us not forget that the Russians captured everything from Stalingrad to Berlin. Far more German weapons, holsters and material were lost in Russia than in western Europe during the war. There are gaps in my Sauer pistol database wherein I believe hundreds and hundreds of Sauer pistols were sent to the Russian Front and never returned. Just a mute point for us to consider. JIM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast