Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Nazi Astra 400 rig...

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Ddivinia 
#1 ·
I acquired this pistol over the weekend at a gun show. It's in the German contract serial number range. The pistol is in nice condition and came with an unusual canvas and leather holster and two mags. Here are some pics.

Len

See less See more
#2 ·
Len,
That's the nicest one I've ever seen! The holster will drive the leather freaks crazy! Any markings on it? Please consider me if you ever sell the gun or holster or if you're looking to trade. Thanks.
Tim H.

#4 ·
Len,
The only holsters I have ever seen for the German contract Astra 400 are similar in construction and shape to yours, but are all leather, brown or black(dyed) and have no markings. I think the contract with Astra stated that Astra would provide the holsters so I have always assumed they were Spanish made. Maybe yours is a German manufactured holster, but I've never seen or heard of one. A search of the forum will show some previous discussions about this issue. Again, that's a nice gun...better than mine.
Tim H.

#6 ·
I thought the same as Tom, not that it matters. All of the German contract 400 holsters I've seen were all leather and black. The holster looks as if it held a gun for some time, whereas the gun is so fine it's scary. They're both fine pieces, but I wouldn't store the gun in that holster under any circumstances. Does anyone know if Antares says anything about canvas /leather holsters regarding German contract 400s or 600s?
Mike

#7 ·
The guy I bought the rig from claimed he owned it for "many years" and that it came to him with the holster. All the wear marks on the interior and exterior indicate it held a 400. The pistol actually has quite a bit of wear on the lanyard ring and also some wear on the mag release lever and a very little bit on the left side of the frame. There are the tell tale marks on the holster to indicate they came in contact with the fabric. That being said I don't think it was carried too much. Have no fear Mike, the pistol will not be stored in the holster.

Len

#9 ·
Antares excellent book on Astras states that the German contract for Astra 400's included an all leather holster, unmarked. There is no mention of combination canvas/leather. I could find no pictures in his book of anything similar. It's an unusual holster and I'm surprised there aren't more comments. It was mentioned there was wear on the mag release lever. This may not really be the case as I believe that piece was not rust blued but was maybe case hardened or fire blued.
Tim H.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Len, beautiful example of a hard-to-find German contract 400. I'm not sure what to make of the holster; I've never seen anything quite like it. I was lucky enough to acquire a correct very late war "paper" ersatz holster with an extra magazine for mine, courtesy of a forum member.[/URL]
That's a really nice holster Roger. Thanks for the link.

Len

#15 ·
Darin, They're still near impossible to find. Most collectors end up getting a Nazi Spanish Star Mod. B holster which is easier to find. As I recall they are light brown, unmarked and the A400 pistol and spare mag fit well. I have seen several other A400's in these holsters and believe there's some possibility that they were issued with them.
Tim H.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.