Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

CZ-28 Pistol

27K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  JGW 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon,

I recently came across a CZ 28 pistol. It looks exactly like a CZ-27 except that the slide serrations on the rear of the slide are angled like a CZ-24. The slide is marked CZ 28. I don't have the pistol in my possession so I can’t describe the other markings on the gun to you (but I am going to try and get it).

Is there a reputable reference book that you could recommend that I could go to that accurately describes this pistol? Any and all help will be much appreciated!

Bill

#20 ·
Hey AR-50A1,
You have a cz-24....that number does not represent the model but the year! I would recommend the book Know Your Czechoslovakian Pistols by R. J. Berger......There is an english version.

-Jason
Holy Buckets Man! At $999.11 a copy it comes out to $10.70 a page. At that price for the book, I will take my chances.

Or did I miss something and there is a cheaper version of the book somewhere? I would love to have a copy but for that kind of money I am pretty sure that the Mrs. would be buying a casket for me if I bought one.

#6 ·
Cz-28

Good Evening,

While I am waiting for my CZ identification book to arrive, I was able to get the pistol in question and take a few pics.

I own a nice CZ24 dated 1937 (I collect WWII era firearms dated or made in 1937) and I compared it to the pistol in question. My CZ is on the top in each of the photos.

Picture 1 shows both pistols (left side). The pistol in question does have a lanyard loop.

Interestingly enough, the on-line version of the Blue Book of Gun Values does show a listing for a CZ 28 pistol:

CZ 28
Add to Collection
.32 ACP cal., blue finish, smooth hardwood grips, four slanted slide serrations on rear of slide, marked "C.S. STRAZ KARLOVY VARY" on right side, "CESKA ZBROJOVKA AS v PRAZE" on top of frame, and "CZ 28" on left side below serrations.

Picture 2 shows a close-up of the markings on the pistol in question. The pistol is chambered for .380ACP (correct for a CZ 24), has smooth hardwood grips (no big deal there), does not have the "C.S. STRAZ KARLOVY VARY" on right side, does have "CESKA ZBROJOVKA AS v PRAZE" on top of frame with the serial number, but does have "CZ 28" on left side below serrations. I removed the slide and there are no serial number inside anywhere.

From my limited experience I believe this pistol is dated 1929 as indicated by the 29 on the right side of the frame.

This pistol's serial number is 115887. My 1937 dated CZ 24 has a serial number of 144880.

I will post what I find out when theKnow Your Czechoslovakian Pistols byR. J. Bergerhttp://www.amazon.com/R.-J.-Berger/e/B001KCGWHW/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_11?qid=1329264170&sr=8-11arrives.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

#9 ·
Bill - as others have stated your CZ 24 marked CZ 28 on the left rear of the slide was manufactured in 1928. The J Lion 29 represents the year it was accepted into the Czech military. The Lion of Bohemia is the Czech Military property symbol.

Your other CZ 24 was accepted into the military in 1937. You should be able to date its manufacture by its serial number.

#13 ·
Gentlemen,
Of course there used to be a CZ 28 pistol - two of these, in fact, one prototype only with DAO trigger (developed by Frantisek Myska of CZ Strakonice for Poland, but never ordered after the trials found it wanting), based on the vz.24 frame (8 rds magazine) and the other ordered in 1929 by Polish Border Guards (2539 pistols delivered in three batches, 1930-1932). That Polish CZ28 came in two variations: 1st Model with a wooden holster-stock slot (only 230 made, one known to have survived so far, in Czech Republic) and 2nd Model - with no slot, but retaining the extended grip with 9 rds magazine in 9 mm Short (.380 Auto). This extended grip is by far the only difference between the military vz.24 and export CZ28. See some photos of the prototype SA/DA variant and of the two rare survivors of the 2nd Model Polish Border Guards CZ 28, one made in 1929, and the other in 1930.
Regards, Leszek
PS. Note a change in factory proof stamp in 1930, as exemplified by the two pistols. The 1929 specimen comes from a private collection, the 1930 one was offered for auction in Germany several years ago.

Attachments

#14 ·
Okay - seems like a lot of conflicting, incomplete, or inaccurate info here... I also have a CZ that is stamped as CZ28. Mine is marked as follows: Serial # 89700

Across the top of the slide: CESKA ZBROJOVKA ASvPRAZE 89700
Left side of frame, just above the safety: c^z89700
Left rear of slide, just below angled serration: c^z89700
in both of the cases above the "^" denotes an upward pointing arrow marking.
Right rear of frame: c^z J "lion head symbol" 29
Right front of frame: 89700
Front strap, below trigger guard: 4H 529, with a line through the 529 and the number 310 stamped below.

I have not figured out how to do a break-down, so I'm unsure of any interior markings. The gun has standard black plastic grips with the old CZ logo; and it is cambered in 9mm kurtz (.380)... any further info, ideas, etc?

#17 ·
Okay - seems like a lot of conflicting, incomplete, or inaccurate info here... I also have a CZ that is stamped as CZ28. Mine is marked as follows: Serial # 89700
Baron,

the "CZ28" or rather vz.28 designation discussed here was NEVER stamped on any pistol. This is a year model, like "Model of 1911" or "Pistole 08". The Czechs never stamped model designations on their pistols for internal consumption - the P.27(t) is not Czechoslovak, but German designator.

Whereas your C^Z 28 is not a model designator, but just a CZ factory sign, combining an old style (C arrow Z) logo with year of production millesime (1928), while the serial indicates an Army contract vz.24 pistol.

As for the CZ ##, CZ-## and vz.## designations and their presence in slide legend:

CZUB civilian pistols are now usually designated with "CZ-##" style designator: CZ-75, CZ-83 or CZ-122. Latest polymer-framed pistols, are designated "P-##" (P-07, P-09).

CZ Strakonice military pistols were and CZUB's manufactured ones are still usually designated with their military model designator, e.g. vz.24 (also Pi-24 = Pistole vz.24), vz.27, vz.52 (Pi-52), vz.82 (Pi-82).

Where confusion seeps in, is the separation lines. Prewar pistols, even civlian, were often called names like "CZ vz.36" - even where these were in fact civilian mouseguns in .25 ACP. This was done purely to reap the "military benefit" of suggesting that the producer is a purveyor of the military pistols, which these of course were not - and hope for better sales. Unfortunately such antics blurred the civilian-military Mason-Dixon line, and now many authors who should know better, merge the names and use e.g. "CZ-24" moniker (which never existed) instead of proper vz.24 or Pi-24.

Post-WW2 this division was observed almost religiously and it would serve right anyone who is interested in Czech pistols to follow suit, as it clears most of the confusion mentioned (and exemplified) in your post. Interesting case in point is the Pi-82, a staggered-row blowback pistol chambered in 9 mm x 18. The Pi-82 (Pistole vz.82) was a strictly military-issue pistol, fitted with a polygonal barrel, proofed for Czechoslovak own, peculiar version of the 9 Mak round, with a sintered iron solid lead-free bullet. Mechnically identical pistol in civilian trim was called the CZ-83 and was offered in a choice of three calibers: .32 ACP, .380 ACP and 9 mm x 18 (9 Mak) - but the 9 Mak CZ-83 had a classic field-and-groove bore profile, and was NOT proofed for the vz.82 military ammunition.

As a rule of a thumb: if it says CZ-## in Czech pistol slide legend, or even "vzor ##" (e.g. CZ vz.36) the gun is a civilian model or at least a commercial offspring. C(logo)Z with ## is prewar factory dating, as the military model designations were never stamped by Czechs. German designations like P.24(t), P.27(t) or P.39(t) are not counted as Czech-stamped, for obvious reasons.

#15 ·
Visniewski,
In regards to the Polish CZ28 first variation, one of 230 with the wooden holster-stock slot, what is the difference between this pistol and a CZ24 with slotted grip like the ones made for AKAH between 1929 and 1931? I imagine only the markings, are these 230 pistols in a separate serial range?
Thanks,
Bob

#16 ·
freehouse,

There were two major differences: first and foremost, these were vz.28s, meaning they had extended grips and featured 9 rds magazines (3.5 slots, see above) instead of mere 8 rounders (3 slot) of the regular vz.24. Second, they indeed were numbered in a separate lot.
Now, whether they were exactly 230 of these ever manufactured, there's no way to be certain. 230 were delivered to Poland - but out of how many? No one knows, and would probably never know, as most of the CZ prewar marketing documentation was lost in a flood in 1960s.
The only specimen of stocked 28 preserved in Prague seems to bear NO serial number at all - or at least where all other vz.24/28/27s used to be serialized, on the trigger mechanism cover plate on the left side, that one is perfectly blank (see below).

Attachments

#25 ·
Hello. Thanks to your forum, I get known a lot of many interesting things about my item!

Attachments

#27 ·
I didn't realize this thread was dormant since 2015 before your post earlier today. May I suggest you starting a new post about your pistol, pics, etc.? You may get more responses / comments, and we would have the opportunity to get to know you better as well.

Regardless, welcome to the forum!

JGW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.