Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1920 Swiss DMW Luger Commercial

Kenny, realistic pricing in this economy can rarely be achieved by asking the advice of collectors who collect this item. Often we are influenced by alterior motives..pro and con. Many times fellow members here are spot on with estimates.

The ONLY true pricing bararometer is what did a similar pistol sell for recently? That information might be scarce to non available as the similar pistol may not have been sold recently and that price available for your perusal.

Pete and Dwight are quite correct in saying this pistol is in a niche market. I collect Military..Imperial Navy & Artillery and it would take a very low price on a non Military pistol for me to break out of my collecting interest. Most collectors are the same..They are focused in a tight beam as this stuff is spendy.

Everything sells..It just has to be the right price..often a difficult thing to come up with.

Thanks, Jerry !! I gues I'll try to do a lil more research and find a similar item, It's hard for me to do...... they ALL seem alike !!! LOL thx again
    *Kenro*

I dropped the price and I am still open to offers.
    *Kenro*

Suggest you advertise the piece as a "1920 Commercial" with some Swiss parts.....See Fred Datigs' "The Luger Pistol" and his chapter on post WW1 Lugers.....where each one is it's own "variation"........Viel Gluck, Bon Chance....

Oregon/California/Grand Cayman - All over looking for Swiss Lugers & nice old Martin guitars.

" I'm not sure how to take that statement...... marketing ploy ??? "

Kenny,

The comment, above, was not directed at you.

My previous posting was to highlight the fact that some retailers in the distant and more recent, past, try to market a product which was made in Germany as something made in Switzerland.

Best Regards, Pete...

Quote Originally Posted by RickEEngel View Post
    My guess is that these pieces showed up to satisfy the need of clubs and individuals who didn't want to use their own service weapon:M78,M82, and M29 revolvers and the Parabellums issued since 1900. They were probably ordered in small batches if not piece by piece.
    Rick,
    That sounds perfectly logical to me. These are commercials. I assumed they were a continuation of Swiss commercials starting with the M1900 then M1906 and finally these M1906 Alphabet commercials. In my view, it is very simular to American Eagle production. I don't see the difference, except that the Swiss had grip safties on all their Lugers. I hadn't thought of it before but, I think Pete is correct in that they may have used leftover receivers and probably M1906 frames. BTW, the front sights are inverted v shaped, the same as the earlier models... possibly more leftover parts. Again, I am only referring to those with 3 7/8" DWM factory barrels.
    How many of the same configuration does it take to call it a variation?
    Last edited by MFC; 03-07-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    Mike C.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Ebbink View Post
    Mike,

Regardless of what modern-day retailers have for an asking price on such "Swiss" guns...the fact is that most in the USA would see it as a shooter pistol from the 1920's in that unpopular 7,65 mm...we usually see these sell for $ 1100-1250 or so.
    Pete,
    I respectfully disagree. I can't follow your reasoning. Do you think a "1920's commercial" 7.65mm American Eagle would sell for $1100-$1250?
    Last edited by MFC; 03-07-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Mike C.

Mike, You reminded me of an anecdote, and a true story. It was 1974, Dr. Rolf Gminder was my guide thru the Mauser factory where they were then assembling the Mauser Parabellums and HScs. On one bench a worker was putting the finishing touches on a refurbished P-08 with a "1917 Erfurt" bbl. fork and a brand new bbl. with the then Wurtemburg "antler" proof. It, the Luger, had been sent in for a new bbl. He picked it up and looked at me, grinned, and quipped, "A new variation"................

Oregon/California/Grand Cayman - All over looking for Swiss Lugers & nice old Martin guitars.

Mike,

Yes...maybe more if in better shape than Kenny's gun (in terms of original finish remaining).

I know we will not agree on this point. And that is as it should be.

Best Regards, Pete...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234