Pictured are two P.08 pistols manufactured in 1912.
The DWM manufactured pistol was one of an estimated 10,000* produced that year for the German Army. There are no unit markings on the grip strap. It is probable that this pistol was issued in the Bavarian or Würtemburg Armies as it was not retrofitted with the hold open lever or the 50m front sight. The start of hostilities in 1914 interrupted the recall of their P.08's.
The Erfurt manufactured pistol was one of an estimated 21,000* pistols produced for the German Army that year. It was recalled and retrofitted with both the hold open and the higher 50m front sight by the Erfurt Rifle Factory. The front grip strap is unit marked 145.R.1.6, "Königs-Infanterie-Regiment (Lothringisches) Nr. 145, Kompagnie 1, waffe 6." As a part of the 34.Infanterie-Division, Regiment 145 saw extensive action at: Great Retreat,Verdun, Second Aisne,Cambrai,Spring Offensive-Second Battle of the Somme,St. Quentin, and against the Americans at Oise-Aisne.
The book is a 1919 publication of the history of the American 88th Division In The World War of 1914-1918. The 88th AEF saw action in the Central Sector of Haute Alsace in 1918.
*Still-Central Powers Pistols.
2012-03-24_31912 Centennial DWM Erfurt.jpg2012-03-241912 Centennial DWM Erfurt_1.jpg2012-03-241912 Centennial DWM Erfurt.jpg
Additional information or comments are appreciated.