Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial German Regimental Marking

Default The Imperial German Regimental Marking

The Imperial German Regimental Marking [Revised Edition] by Jeff Noll.
    1998, published by Jeff Noll; PO Box 7184; Ventura, California, 93006

Imperial German Regimental Markings is just under 200 pages long with a nicely bound 8 ½ by 11 format. This is an excellent text on decoding Imperial Regimental markings. The book has four important parts. First is a valuable tutorial by Jeff Noll on the regimental standards for marking, variations from the regulation standard, and sound advice in decoding the markings. These comments appear in the first two chapters and the last with occasional observations throughout the text. Second there is a 34 page listing of regimental markings in alphabetical order. Third is a 39 page list of observed markings with input from a number of outstanding collections. And fourth is a 34 page index of major German Unit Organizations. This allows the user to link a regimental marking to a division the regiment served with. Mr. Noll shares Klaus Schad’s view that you must consider the unit structure and history when resolving an ambiguous marking. Any of these four sections is worth the price of the book.

The book has no photographs but is well illustrated with the art of D Steglitz, that also appears often in Jan Still’s texts. This is a revision of an earlier list that Jeff Noll published and he points out some of his earlier mistakes and invite scholarly criticism of any errors in this version. I should also note that the bibliography is excellent and will assist in locating additional references.

I think, used in conjunction with Gortz and Bryans' German Small Arms Markings, this text will go far in educating the collector and perhaps preventing a pricey mistake. But even beyond that, Jeff Noll’s Imperial German Regimental Markings is an entertaining read for any Imperial German Military collector.
    regards, heinz

Friends,

The book is a must for all collectors of German guns, rifles and bayonets.
    Heinrich

Heinz
    Good review of Jeff Nolls excellent book. I use it all the time.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

I have this Book!I highly recommend it.

I have received copy no. 1026 which Jeff has signed and inscribed as follows:

"To Walter D. Yovdoshuk a fellow enthusiast of the Kaiser's Armies. I trust this book will become a valued piece of your Military Referrence Library.

With Regards
    Jeff"

Jeff has certainly made me feel welcome as a newcomer to this field and this book is already getting heavy usage. I treasure it.

Walter

Default Sold out!

Subject book by J. Noll is presently SOLD OUT (according to Noll Publishing website).
    Does anyone know if/when this essential reference tool will be made available again?
    I'd prefer to get it from the author himself rather than from a second hand source...
    Regards,
    Bruno

Bruno, why don't you write Jeff Noll a note and ask him....

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=22469

click on his User Name and it will say Private Message or Email

Ed
    Edward Tinker
    Veteran Bring Backs Vol III 2012
    Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
    Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
    Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
    Have all books available for purchase

Default e-mailed

Ed: thank you for your reply.
    I just e-mailed Jeff Noll, suggesting he could respond inside this thread, as other forum members are certainly interested to know about a future (revised?) edition of his work.
    Bruno

Default My book, The Imperial German Regimental Marking

Everyone,

I have been contemplating a redo of my book, The Imperial German Regimental Marking. I have been sold out for about three years and know it is tough for someone to pay the asking prices on the secondary market.

Some things I am considering is:

(1) just reprint the existing edition. The down side is that it is very expensive in less than 1000 copies and if I reprinted them, the cost is clearly four times what it cost in 1998. I would have to charge ~$70 for them.
    (2) update it and come-out with a "revised" revised edition. The down side here is that there are only a few more marking designations I can add but I could double the size of the observations chapter. How many collectors that would be interested in expanded listings of Regimentally marked weapons is unknown.
    (3) completely redo it and add photos (color?). Jan S. has set a high mark for our books. Undertaking this would be a tremendous effort. Printing costs would be marginally higher.

One other thing I cannot discount is our economy. My previous book was a self-published and self-distributed endeavor. Translated, this means I was able to sell every copy I did not give away for $30 (dealer prices applied where appropriate). The other thing (I am not complaining) is that I printed 1100 copies and it took seven years to sell them all. 1100 copies of my old book was 100 cases and took two pallets. This is not trivial amount of garage. Also, I estimate that a new edition would be almost double the page count so books would take-up twice the room. How marketable a new version would be is unknown after the true die-hard collectors bought their copies.

Please do not take my comments negatively. They are just the elements I need to consider. On the plus side, I am retired and every day is a weekend now. I have the time.

Your comments would be welcome.

Jeff

There are also printing-on-demand options available these days. Perhaps something to look into as well.

Co-Author 'The Parabellum Is Back! 1945-2000'.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast