Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

The Imperial German Regimental Marking

26K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  Jeff Noll 
#1 ·
The Imperial German Regimental Marking [Revised Edition] by Jeff Noll.
1998, published by Jeff Noll; PO Box 7184; Ventura, California, 93006

Imperial German Regimental Markings is just under 200 pages long with a nicely bound 8 ½ by 11 format. This is an excellent text on decoding Imperial Regimental markings. The book has four important parts. First is a valuable tutorial by Jeff Noll on the regimental standards for marking, variations from the regulation standard, and sound advice in decoding the markings. These comments appear in the first two chapters and the last with occasional observations throughout the text. Second there is a 34 page listing of regimental markings in alphabetical order. Third is a 39 page list of observed markings with input from a number of outstanding collections. And fourth is a 34 page index of major German Unit Organizations. This allows the user to link a regimental marking to a division the regiment served with. Mr. Noll shares Klaus Schad’s view that you must consider the unit structure and history when resolving an ambiguous marking. Any of these four sections is worth the price of the book.

The book has no photographs but is well illustrated with the art of D Steglitz, that also appears often in Jan Still’s texts. This is a revision of an earlier list that Jeff Noll published and he points out some of his earlier mistakes and invite scholarly criticism of any errors in this version. I should also note that the bibliography is excellent and will assist in locating additional references.

I think, used in conjunction with Gortz and Bryans' German Small Arms Markings, this text will go far in educating the collector and perhaps preventing a pricey mistake. But even beyond that, Jeff Noll’s Imperial German Regimental Markings is an entertaining read for any Imperial German Military collector.

See less See more
#5 ·
I have received copy no. 1026 which Jeff has signed and inscribed as follows:

"To Walter D. Yovdoshuk a fellow enthusiast of the Kaiser's Armies. I trust this book will become a valued piece of your Military Referrence Library.

With Regards
Jeff"

Jeff has certainly made me feel welcome as a newcomer to this field and this book is already getting heavy usage. I treasure it.

#6 ·
Sold out!

Subject book by J. Noll is presently SOLD OUT (according to Noll Publishing website).
Does anyone know if/when this essential reference tool will be made available again?
I'd prefer to get it from the author himself rather than from a second hand source...
Regards,
Bruno

#8 ·
e-mailed

Ed: thank you for your reply.
I just e-mailed Jeff Noll, suggesting he could respond inside this thread, as other forum members are certainly interested to know about a future (revised?) edition of his work.
Bruno

#9 ·
My book, The Imperial German Regimental Marking

Everyone,

I have been contemplating a redo of my book, The Imperial German Regimental Marking. I have been sold out for about three years and know it is tough for someone to pay the asking prices on the secondary market.

Some things I am considering is:

(1) just reprint the existing edition. The down side is that it is very expensive in less than 1000 copies and if I reprinted them, the cost is clearly four times what it cost in 1998. I would have to charge ~$70 for them.
(2) update it and come-out with a "revised" revised edition. The down side here is that there are only a few more marking designations I can add but I could double the size of the observations chapter. How many collectors that would be interested in expanded listings of Regimentally marked weapons is unknown.
(3) completely redo it and add photos (color?). Jan S. has set a high mark for our books. Undertaking this would be a tremendous effort. Printing costs would be marginally higher.

One other thing I cannot discount is our economy. My previous book was a self-published and self-distributed endeavor. Translated, this means I was able to sell every copy I did not give away for $30 (dealer prices applied where appropriate). The other thing (I am not complaining) is that I printed 1100 copies and it took seven years to sell them all. 1100 copies of my old book was 100 cases and took two pallets. This is not trivial amount of garage. Also, I estimate that a new edition would be almost double the page count so books would take-up twice the room. How marketable a new version would be is unknown after the true die-hard collectors bought their copies.

Please do not take my comments negatively. They are just the elements I need to consider. On the plus side, I am retired and every day is a weekend now. I have the time.

Your comments would be welcome.

Jeff

#11 · (Edited)
Is there a best option?

Jeff,

Being also an author (but a novelist), I do understand your logistical dilemma. Although I am sensitive to top quality criteria, I always give priority to bare information when technical data of scientific issues are addressed. As regards your three options:
1) My preference for a short term result would be reprinting as is.
2) I anticipate you would be more satisfied with a “revised” revised version, at mid-term. Expanding your observations would likely be an improved achievement for yourself and everyone else, and I suspect those lucky ones who acquired the previous version could not - for most - resist buying the updated one!
3) Concerning the last option, I assume efforts to be devoted, in addition to important cost figures, would make this project pretty prohibitive in time and moneywise.
Up to you to decide, of course.
Best regards,

Bruno

#17 ·
Hi Jeff,

First, I would like to thank you for the invaluable service you have done for the collector/researcher.

Recently, I was given a copy (#279) of your 1988 work. It opened up renewed research into some of my Imperial German items.

In particular, I have a M1918 "Cut-Out" steel helmet with: "3 R.R. 5" stamped on one line and the number "1" stamped below. These markings are in the lower rear skirt of the helmet.
I also have a GEW 98 sniper rifle with: "J.R. 147 10 K." stamped on the bolt takedown sleeve on the stock. The rifle is the newer (post 1915) pattern with a finger grooved beech stock. Unfortunately, I cannot (will not) remove the telescope base to determine maker and year.

I just did a search for your most recent book, but could not locate a copy to obtain.
If you do a re-print, or better yet, a new revised printing with photos, please ad me to the list of those who want a copy.

Could you use this site to test market, and perhaps take advanced orders if so desired?
Keep us all posted, and again, Thank You!

Sincerely,
William Glass

#18 ·
Hi Jeff, instead of reprinting why not put it on a cd and charge $20. I would buy one and then if I wanted a certain page, just print it off. Very little storage problem with the cd's and you can burn a lot or a few depending on the demand.
Wish you all the best, Al

#20 ·
OK here is what is under consideration at this time. I feel I am going to be burned at the stake if I don't do something. First, I do not want to do an electronic version. Just call me old fashion. I am looking into putting this out like the Addendum I just published. It will be soft cover, spiral bound, with 28 pound paper. I do not think I will be betraying those with hardcover books. There will be no hardbound re-printings so the investment in the original version is sound. The down side is the book will have to be put together as the original was actually printed (16 pages per plate) and assembled into a printable file. Not impossible just a lot of work. The price should be between $75-80 each. I will just be doing small quantities. I am thinking summer 2014 for availability.

What do you all think of that?

Jeff

#24 ·
Just an update on the Redux of The Imperial German Regimental Marking. Things are almost complete and I am in my final review. I expect books to be available by June 1st. The price will be $80 + postage ($5.60) for priority mail (within the USA). More to come soon.

#26 ·
John, The Addendum luger markings will not be in the Redux. This Redux is basically the same (I hate to use the word "reprint") as the original "Revised Edition". This publication is spiral bound with a color cover (w/clear plastic top cover), printed on 28 pound paper and the same format as my original book. If you have the Addendum the Redux is the same construction. Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.