Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

I believe......

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  prairiedogpat 
#1 ·
I believe I've discovered another characteristic of the very early K dates. It may or may not add credence to the theory that Mauser and the Nazi's were trying to hide the fact that they had taken the Army Contract away from Simson's and making Lugers for the German Military. Or, it may just be that the inspectors were following what had went before at Erfurt and Simson's. I'm talking about the proof mark on the right barrel. It is rotated up around the barrel and is not in a plane with the rest of the proof marks and acceptance marks on the right receiver.
Any opinions?

#2 ·
abzug,

I suspect that this may have occurred only in the first few hundred pistols. My guns serial # 268 is the earliest K date listed in the data collected on this forum, so I have nothing to compare it to. This is not the only change made to the right barrel proof. In 1937, I believe Mauser rotated this proof to the up-right.
Pat

#6 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responces.

Dave, I've been looking at all the K dates I could find. Is 802 on this forum and did I just miss it? I guess that shoots down my theory that only the first few hundred K date had the right barrel proof rotated up like Erfurt and Simson's.
Pat

#8 ·
Dave,
Posting a picture is an individual choice and I believe you may have chose not to post a picture of your K date here, so I wont ask that. A physical desciption might be good, though. Is the proof up-close to the barrel flange radius and is it high up on the barrel?
I have several theories about K dates. Another theory I have is that the indent on the right receiver occurred in removing the barrel and replacing it after the pistol failed the accuracy test. This may also explain the barrel proof being rotated as the replacement barrels may have been stamped in this manner.
Of course, everyone is full of theories and most people think I'm full of something.
Thanks for your help,
Pat

#10 ·
Dave,

Now that's what I call a nice K date. See what you make of the "H" on the spine of my matching magazine. It's an H but looks triple stamped.

#12 ·
Bill,

As I said, it's just a theory. In the book,"The Mauser Parabellum 1930-1946" it is stated that, "A large number of barrel failed inspection and were sent back to the factory and fully 45% were re-barreled. I don't think 45% of the K dates have shown up and there are K dates out there with no indents.
Pat

#13 ·
I like it Pat. I don't recall an explanation for the indents that makes any more sense. The fact that there are some good K dates w/o indents (or light ones like yours) although it is one of the first things to look for in authentication would lend something to your theory. The dents could be from a vise or tooling used to hold receivers when barrels were removed or even be caused by slippage during removal. JB

#15 ·
John, The theory seems farely plausible.
abzug, From your last pictures, I noticed that as production progressed, the indents get more pronounced as if the clamping tool was wearing out.
Dave, Just to have a response and see a nice K date is helpful.

Thank all of you for responding.
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.