Thread: Luger serial numbers

boomstix13 Guest

Default Luger serial numbers

Since there were so many Lugers manufactured since well before ww1 , can anyone tell me why my 1940 code 42 Luger only has a four digit serial no.of less than 2000? Were there alot of duplicate numbers, or did they go back to zero with every variation? This may seem like a dumb question but i've been bugged by this. I would sure appreciate an explanation. thanks Boomstix

David,

Imperial Military Lugers of WWI were numbered from 1 at the beginning of each year. At every 10,000 guns the number series was started over again at 1, with a letter suffix added, progressing through the alphabet until the next year. This practice was followed by both DWM and Erfurt.

Mauser P-08 began production at serial# 1 with the K date in 1934, and simply progressed through the number-suffix irrespective of year. Mauser cycled through the complete alphabet three times, ending in the n suffix block in 1942.

Complete serial number tables can be found in Jan Still's "Imperial Lugers" and "Third Reich Lugers", respectively.

Commercial serial numbering began with 1 in 1901, and continued to the 92,000 range in 1921. In that year DWM converted to numbering in the military style (four digits followed by a letter), beginning with the letter suffix i. The commercial serial range is separate from military production, the numbers are not intermixed.

--Dwight

--Dwight

boomstix13 Guest

Dwight, thanks for the info, it cleared up some of my question,but I don't have a letter sufix in my serial no. should I? thanks Dave

David, No letter indicates that yours was in the first production run of that year.

Ron

Railsplitter Guest

According to Jan Still's "Third Reich Lugers" the 42 code 1940 Nazi military Mauser lugers ran from 7700z to 7000n. So there is a block of 10,000 pistols without a letter suffix. This block would have been manufactured after the last "z" and before the first "a" suffix blocks.

Not to dispute Mr Still,but I'm setting here looking a 1940 code 42 luger with sn # 7769n

Pipeman

The chart referred in Railsplitters post was based on the known serial numbers at the time, if you have one outside the range reported in third reich lugers you will find that Mr Still ( Jan) would be most interested.

Could you provide pictures of the proofs on the right hand receiver and a picture of the full serial number with suffix letter.

The data table at the top of this heading could then be updated to include this number as the latest one reported is 1854 (N)

Thankyou

Thanks,and my pistol has been added to the list.I posted some pics whe I first got the gun and you should be able to do a search and find them.

Dave and Lou
    There is also a 1940 42 sn 82xxn recorded in the table. This extends the reported 1940 42 serial range out a little further.
    Jan.
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

silvereagle29 Guest

Jan
    The - Y - block is a good place to look for the first of the 1940-42 dates. In your opinion, do you feel that all Mauser Luger production blocks went to 10,000? or maybe 9999. I have read about 1937-S/42 number 10,000 and observed K-date number 10,000. To my knowledge, no other number 10,000 has ever been reported. I suspect these were unusual pistols, odd numbers created by the man doing the numbering. In my opinion, Mauser used only 1-9999, the same as DWM and Erfurt. There certainly must have been WaA. Directive that spelled out the numbering process, obviously there was for the Imperial pistols. No where in my research do I find that anyone has ever reported a number 10,000 Imperial or Weimar pistol. Opinions anyone???