Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1920 or 1923

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dwight Gruber 
#1 ·
Can someone explain to me the difference between a 1920 commercial and a 1923? Is there anything (besides the serial number) to differentiate the two?

#2 ·
Jan Still started using the terminology of those having the consecutive numbered, i.e. 59,034 as an example and then up to 89,000 something or rather ;)

and then there are alphabet lugers, when DWM started around 'k' (mid 1920's) and then every 10k it was another suffix.

So, in short, my mind is blank on the 1920 and 1923 of which is which - I am sure someone will post something intelligent :)

#3 · (Edited)
Kenyon classified the 5 digit S#'s 73500 - 96000 as 1923 Commercial.
He classified the 4 digit S#'s with a suffix as 1920 Commercial. That is backwards and confusing. The "1923 Commercials" were manufactured before the "1920 Commercials".

With updated data, Jan Still clarifies the subject. He classifies the two as '20DWM' (75000-92000) and 'Alphabet DWM' Commercials (2000i-9999r).
Commercial S#'s are consecutive beginning in 1900 with S#1 and reaches S#92000 in 1921. It then switches to the military style of numbering, starting with 2000i, which is equivalent to 92000. It continues until 1942 into the 'y' or 'z' suffix.

#4 ·
The short answer to your question is no. The only difference is the S#'s. Both have upright C/N proofs on the left side of the receiver.

75000-92000 = "1923 Commercial" or better "20 DWM" Commercial.
2000i-9999r = "1920 Commercial" or better "Alphabet DWM" Commercial.

#5 · (Edited)
Weighing in here...

"1923 Commercial" is an obsolete collector reference to Lugers manufactured by DWM after the Great War, to 1921. Their salient characteristics are a five-digit serial number with a single upright commercial crown/N stamped on the left receiver. They almost always have a 3 3/4-inch, .30 cal. barrel. A much more useful and descriptive designation for these pistols would be "5-digit, post-war commercial."

"1920 Commercial" is an obsolete collector reference to Lugers manufactured by DWM between 1921-1930. Their salient characteristics are a four-digit serial number followed by a lower-case letter between i and v. They almost always have a single upright commercial crown/N proof stamped on the left receiver. (DWM marked pistols in the v suffix range stamped with a commercial upright Crown/crown/U proof on the left receiver were assembled by Mauser, and do not properly carry this designation.) They almost always have a 3 3/4-inch, .30 cal. barrel (there are recognized exceptions to the proof and barrel combination). A much more useful and descriptive designation for these pistols is "Alphabet Commercial".

A sub-variation comprising the s, t, and u serial suffix range has been designated "29 DWM", but recent study has suggested that these properly belong as part of the Alphabet Commercial designation.

--Dwight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.