Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Police marked #3 magazines

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  RockinWR 
#1 ·
I have only had a couple of these and recently had the chance to buy one from a forum member.

These are #3 marked magazines, which are a bit uncommon, while they also have either a unit marking, or weapon / rack number on them.

Starburst K accepted, there are no other markings on them

Ed

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ed, All I have seen in years past were "pre-Haenel extruded" examples. Which leads me to believe these were Weimar police magazines. The question as to where the 3rd mag was carried on one's body was discussed years ago in AUTOMAG, and the answer was determined to come from original police information that noted it (the 3rd example) was to be carried in the tunic/shirt pocket. The Sunburst K represents (supposively) the 1st letter of the Chief of the police acceptance department's last name... Krause, whose office was located in Berlin. These mags were in use in the 1930s when the Sauer Behörden pistols that were accepted also had the Sunburst K acceptance marking on them. I believe the K & Krause relationship was proven also. Regards, JIM

#3 ·
All of the "3" marked magazines I have seen with pistol were Haenel Schmeisser even when the other matched mag, 1 or 2, was not and all the pistols were Landjaegerei marked with matching brown holsters.

#9 ·
not sure what you mean by grip number. Every now and then you see a rack number on the mag, its not common, but nice to see.

I have matched magazines twice, once the right number but wrong era mag to gun. I have seen folks match up a number of times, but it is rare.

#10 ·
Match mags do show up. I have matched 3 luger mags and a Mauser 1914 mag for other people and have matched 2 Luger mags for me. One from a Forum member.

I will have to post an up dated mag list soon.

#3 mags were earlier for Landjaegerei and later probably for Einzeldienst. Perhaps Don has additional.

#15 ·
It is interesting, but it seems that along with changing the Prussian police manual nr. 40 by issuing Landjagerei officials two reserve magazines for their P08s, in Nov 1932 it was ordered that weapon number was to be marked on the magazine base instead of the manufacturer serial number reversing the procedure established in the 1932 manual 40a.

Perhaps the Landjagerei officials with the extra reserve magazine used one of the mag pouches issued in the early 20s to the Schupo.

#18 ·
I believe that LP08s were issued with a total of seven magazines numbered to the gun in 1914 - 1916.

#19 ·
When I was in the army, if I had a 2 mag pouch and then one in the gun, I had three mags, if I had the rounds.

If I was in war, and issued a 2 mag pouch or I could get one, I would have three mags.

3, even 4 numbered mags are found, it only makes sense they went with a rig. The 1920's in germany were pretty wild, even for police, so I would expect that given the choice, they would carry every round they could.

Ed

#22 ·
Hmm, the other side of the equation, regardless of whether or not we speak of marking them 1 - 7 or speak of marking them just with a + is until 1918 when speaking of LP08s we speak of wood bottoms. I have seen some wood bottoms so ragged no one will ever know what was stamped on them..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.