Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1916 & 1917 Navy Luger's

Default 1916 & 1917 Navy Luger's

I would like to get an option on the following pair of Navy lugers. Neither has correct mags and the 1916 in non-matching and the 1917 is all matching but just does not seem right.
    I am looking to purchase these and surprised as they came from a local estimate and surprised they are mismatched but many are Navy parts.

The barrel on both Lugers seems to be refinished.

I would appreciate you comments and value for both based on the attached picture’s.

Thanks in advance for your help,

George
    Attached Images Attached Images

George,
    I think these are new numbers for Norm's list.

I like the '16, even mismatched, got to love #70 or 75!

The experts can comment on the '17 , but I'd buy them both at the right price.

Price is tough, I have seen in the last year or so low $2ks to mid $6k price, no idea what they actually sell for; of course this covers the range from rough mismatched to very nice, so not much help I know

I can say I just paid mid $3k for a 1916, matching except mag, finish not as nice as these though.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 14,17,45
    Art. luger rear sight slide # 03

Hi George,
    It would have been less confusing had you posted these two guns separately instead of mixing the photos. Nevertheless, it seems that the 1916 Navy #75 has two mis-matched parts, the side-plate and the sear-block.
    The 1917 Navy #7053 appears to be all matching. Better photos would be needed to tell whether the finish is original or not, I think I see a slight halo effect on the barrel serials of both guns, but I could be wrong.
    The small C/M inspection marks below the barrels of Navy guns were applied prior to blueing and no halo effect is proper.
    Regards, Norm

Hi George,
    I took another look at your photos this evening and I think I have the two guns sorted out even though the photos are mixed.
    1916 Navy #70 is composed of bottom half #70, side-plate #99 and top half #75. As a "mixmaster" gun, albeit a nice looking one, I would figure it a buy at $2,500.00. If it were all matching it would be worth about twice that.
    1917 Navy #7053 is matching as far as I can tell, it's not in as nice shape as the 1916, so I think it's worth about $4,000.00.
    I hope this helps.
    Regards, Norm

Norm

I tuly appreciate your feed back. I will take more detailed pictures on Tuesday and upload them. I was in a rush when I took them.

Why is it that the finish on both barrels look so good as I thought both were reblued.

Thanks again Norm and sorry for the mixed pictures.

Regards,

George

Hi George,
    If you get the opportunity to field-strip the guns the view shown below would be far and away the most helpful.
    Luger barrels frequently look "shinier" than the rest of the gun, it's much easier to polish a rotating barrel on a lathe than the frame and receiver which have flat surfaces and crisp edges.
    Regards, Norm
    LR 26h 1917 Navy #5302.jpg

Hi George,
    I've changed it to a thumbnail.
    Norm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast