Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luger Takedown Levers

Default Luger Takedown Levers

Do takedown levers/locking bolts have any distinguishing characteristics that indicate what model or era of luger they belong to, or differentiate them from others?

I know commercial DWMs have numbers on the bottom, and Erfurts have the erfurt mark. What about military DWM bolts? Are they different in shape or appearance? Do serial numbers have different orientations? I see some with numbers centered, while others have the numbers left or right of the center.

I have seen a couple with no numbers and the seller said it was a field replacement.

I know side plates are different (from the study here), but are the takedown levers also different?

Hi J.B.,
    Takedown levers could make an interesting area of study. Here's one to get you started.
    Regards, Norm
    DSC_6445.jpg

Add that one to the unique list

Short answer to a great question, Yes(they do vary).

I have not "studied" them, but noted that some have the numbers stamped upside down, Post war East German levers are different in shape.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 14,17,45
    Art. luger rear sight slide # 03

I was wondering if some could be upside down.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I see some with different checkered patterns in that collection of Ed's photos.

Yes, the checkering pattern does vary a little- some variance may be wear- but there is a difference in the patterns too.
    Some difference also attributable to the wear of the tool or use of a new tool.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 14,17,45
    Art. luger rear sight slide # 03

I suspect that the checkering patterns were individual workmen's variations and not subject to factory specifications, especially those varying from "norms".
    drbuster

Was there a such thing as a field replacement for a takedown lever? A seller said this one was a field replacement. I have not seen one like it. Maybe it is an aftermarket?
    Attached Images Attached Images

absolutely - I have a listing of armorer chests somewhere, will try to find it. However, 'replacement part' always jumps out to me as a marketing ploy. That said, I am sure that I myself have made statements like that - as it is true, but unless its acceptance marked; i.e. (proofed) erfurt, 42 (mauser era), S42 - just a blank part bothers me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast