Thread: Austrian Luger

Default Austrian Luger

I was under the impression that the Austrian Marked lugers were post-war. Yet the Rock Island Auction Company is listing it as 1934-1936. See below for text from Rock Island Auction:

"Scarce Austrian Bundesheer Banner Luger Scarce example of 1934 Mauser Banner Commercial Luger, purchased by the Austrian Army during 1934-1936. Documents that accompany the pistol indicate 42 of the original 48 pistols that were sold by the Austrian government in 1965. This pistol is not listed in the 42 serial numbers but is in the same serial number range. Other documents indicate that this particular pistol was purchased in Stuttgart, Germany in 1966; it is very probable it is one of the six missing pistols on the lot. The pistol has an undated chamber and Mauser Banner on the toggle. The left side of the frame is marked with Austrian "EAGLE/BH" markings. The front of the frame and the left side of the chamber are marked with the serial number. The side plate, take-down lever, toggle and other components are stamped with partial serial numbers. The blued magazine is stamped with the pistol serial number in large numerals. All small components have the same suit-blue finish as the major components."

Serial no. 1765
    Charlie

Charlie
    Like you, my recollection is that the BH stamp is post World War II. The information was probably published in AUTO MAG. If it had been pre end of World War II, I would have wanted one for my collection and included one in Third Reich Lugers.
    Jan
    Jan C Still
    Site Owner - Operator

Oregon/California - All over looking for Swiss Lugers & nice old Martin guitars.

Additional info. about BH lugers from John Walter's book, "The Luger Book" on page 62...supporting the post WWII info.

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] bh info.jpg
    124.38KB

Best Regards, Pete...

I have also seen recently imported P38's marked in this fashion on the front left of the frame.
    WaA66