Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good or bad eagle and numbers?

Default Good or bad eagle and numbers?

Is this a good mag or a bad mag? Sorry for the poor pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perfectly original markings.

Hi Londa,

Thanks for posting up photos of HK Magazine SN-944. As member Val mentioned, looks like a righteous one.

May I ask if the magazine is just an "orphan" or is it keeping the gun company ?

Neither this magazine number or a gun with that SN-944 has been previously reported on the old HK List and my more recent and much-expanded version of the HK List that I am keeping.

There is a gun SN-936 (P-Code with side ensciption) and a non-HK magazine on the List. Last place it was noted was at a gun shop in CA State.

There is an orphan magazine SN-953 on the HK List, but no info. on its location and we do not have a photo of that one.

There is a gun SN-958 (S-Code) with a matching magazine that resides in France which I have recorded on the HK List, as well. Gun photos were presented here on the Gun Boards in the past, but not a look at the magazine bottom.

Here is the link to that gun SN-958 and the presented photos :

http://luger.gunboards.com/search.php?searchid=3614505

Gibson's book has a photo of that Magazine 958. (See photo scan, below.)

Best Regards, Pete...

Pete E.

I can't get the picture of pistol 958 to open. Problem on my end or yours?

Geo.

You asked for opinions and here is mine .

Look at the " 9 " font on both . Not even close and they should be .

The E2's aren't close either . Look at the dropped 2 and long tail on 958 . Kinda stork legs without the long legs .

944 definitely looks to be the better of these two .

Pics are the closest matches I could find to 944 [ 148 and 623 ] and notice the right center feather on 944 is crooked . Very noticeable and I cannot find an exact match for it .

Hi Dave,

As you know, we probably have more fake examples in the Magazine Bottom photo-study than real ones...in the 2-digit and 3-digit SN range.

And you may be right...not the first time some "bad" item may have shown up in the Gibson book...but that photo-scan is not the best to work with...

I looked for other promising examples with which to look at the numbers of 9 and/or 4 to compare with Mag 944 in the Opening Post and have pulled these other examples.

Ignore the " + " stamping on 799.

And 148 has been discussed in the past in reference to the "flats" on the bottom suface, but may still be a good one.

Best Regards, Pete...

Pete , Never said I didn't like 944 .

Now 958 is a different matter .

The crooked right center feather on 944 is my main point and I was hoping for some other examples with it to be posted .

The upper wings and spacing to feathers is a tic odd also .

623 is close on these points .

Default More pics

mouser, Pete E and 1933 Ford,

Thanks for your responses. It is always good to get other sets of eyes and opinions on these darn Krieghoff markings and pistols. All comments pro and con are welcome.

Here are some pictures to mull over. Mag 944 is currently living with his twin brother in a leather compartment built in 1936. The differences in the two E/2 stamps are probably due to the angle and force applied when struck.

The inside of the holster is accepted with two E/2 stamps. One is stamped over the other after being rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Must have been done early on a Monday morning after a schnapps fueled weekend.

I have owned this S date rig for over 20 years and knew of its' location 15 years prior to my purchase. Back then the Krieghoff ears and "V" shape where the trigger guard and front strap meet were unknown. I always felt it was right but guess I was just lucky. Will try to post some pictures of the 944 pistol later. Thanks again for your help and opinions.

Geo.

Congrats on a holster that PEGS the neat-o-meter!!!!!

Good old Mr-Ms E2 inspector .

Absolutely proper holster for your gun to boot !

Part of the difference with your E2's is they are both double struck and not squarely . YES that really changes how they look .

Looks also the blank mags were accepted into inventory slightly apart as the wear is slightly different .

Looks to me 623's E2 belongs with your 2 .

Looks like the serial fonts are a dead match as they SHOULD be .

Mind if I add these to a couple different threads ?

Again CONGRATS and looking forward to pics of the gun - tool ?

1933 Ford,

You my add these to any threads you like, thanks for asking.

The tool does not look to be E/2 marked. The eagle looks good but the 2 is not visible and it could be a 63. The tool does NOT show the nibbling or the two straight lines at the top of the bent portion. Will take a couple pictures and blow them up to see for sure.

Would this section be the place to post a back frame marked "Krieghoff Suhl" pistol or somewhere else?

Thanks
    Geo.
    Last edited by geo.luger; 01-13-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Left out the word "NOT". Changes things a lot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast