Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1939 Mauser Police 1934

Default 1939 Mauser Police 1934

Hi guys, I'm in the process of purchasing a Police Mauser 1934 that has the E/L on the right side made in 1939. I understand that this is the really rare one with only appx. 500 made. As with all the other WW2 Nazi police pistols I have, I want to match up the correct holster with it. I found a "sister" pistol that the serial number was only 5 before mine. It has a tan holster stamped Robert Larsen and dated 1939 with police eagle. So far, I have found 2 of the same tan holsters. My question is were there any black holsters made for this specific 1939 dated pistol either by Larsen or any of the other holster makers of the time. I have tried to purchase black holsters for all my other police pistols that I have, knowing that they were made in the two colors and both colors are correct. I would prefer to have a black holster for the 1934 but don't want to be chasing something that doesn't exist . Thanks in advance for any info.
    Rob

The problem is this: how many of these pistol/leather holster rigs were made up by collectors... sounds like a common practice. Then, how to tell which was a rig originally being so in their tool stage, which was a made up in their collector stage...

Alvin, a valid observation but perhaps not fair to the new guy. I think many collectors try to match a period correct holster with a pistol or revolver...

This is the holster you looking for, and i see them for sale all the time - but mostly in brown color!
    This holster has the eagle sticky wings, yours should have the butt winged eagle!

Here is a brown one for your pistol:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWI...gAAOSwdzVXqPxJ

Happy hunting:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Alvin, I appreciate and concur with your points. I am truly just a novice with the gun hobby but have observed countless times where a pistol rig was listed for sale and the holster year or markings didn't match the gun year or era. One year +/- I could understand since it was during the war, but I have seen 3 or 4 years or more in a rig. How could the holster possibly be the original issued with the given pistol? Just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    The problem is this: how many of these pistol/leather holster rigs were made up by collectors... sounds like a common practice. Then, how to tell which was a rig originally being so in their tool stage, which was a made up in their collector stage...
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your info. Just curious as to when the "butt winged" eagle was phased out and replaced with the "sticky wings"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebirg View Post
    This is the holster you looking for, and i see them for sale all the time - but mostly in brown color!
    This holster has the eagle sticky wings, yours should have the butt winged eagle!

Here is a brown one for your pistol:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWI...gAAOSwdzVXqPxJ

Happy hunting:-)

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I guess I should really confirm the date of manufacture before going any further. The serial number is 572066. I saw the "sister" pistol s/n 572061 listed as a 1939 and assumed that to be the correct year. Is it possible to even narrow it down to the month of the given year? Thanks in advance.

Hi Skiffer and welcome to the forum,

I can confirm that your 1934 Mauser pocket model, SN 572066 was made in 1939. I do not know of any data that would narrow it to the month but the 1939 SN range is 555000-583000 so you can interpolate or approximate the quarter or month but it would only be an estimate.

Regards,
    B. Mason
    NRA life member, NAPCA member
    Aim small, miss small.

Thanks for the welcome and the very useful S/N range. I did some math and came up with August of 1939, but as you said it's only an approximation. The "sister" pistol I speak of was shown in a thread on this site. http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...E-L-Police-Rig. It has a tan holster made by Larsen. Here's my question, if I may ask it. Did Mauser (or any of the pistol manufactures) have a contract with certain holster manufactures so that when you bought (or were issued) a pistol, did it come with a holster as a rig or did the new owner private purchase one? I know that the different branches of the German police had different colors on the trim of their uniforms and leather accessories, IE belts, boots, bayo frogs, etc. and I'm sure the holster would have to match. Some were brown/tan and others were black. This is why I would like to find out if I should be looking for a tan holster, by using the "sister" pistol as a model, having been issued to the same police dept. or office or I can use a black one. I know that many will say either is ok but next to the word anal in the dictionary is a picture of me. I have raced powerboats for over 40 years and have been fortunate to have set 16 world records and been National Champion 5 times. I'm sure paying attention to details had a lot to do with it. It's just the way I roll. Thanks in advance. KIYC 2013 A.jpg

I have never seen a but winged 1943 holster. I have seen BW eagle 1942 holster so maybee sometimes during 1942 the BW eagle was phased out...

OK, thanks. I appreciate the info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gebirg View Post
    I have never seen a but winged 1943 holster. I have seen BW eagle 1942 holster so may bee sometimes during 1942 the BW eagle was phased out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast