Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauser TC Authenticity

Default Mauser TC Authenticity

I own one of the TC lugers sent to Turkey in 1937 and have questions about it's authenticity. It is SN 221. Does anyone know about this pistol?

Harley
    Harley

If I remember correctly, this variation is documented in Sturgess and in Hallock and van de Kant's Mauser Luger book.
    I don't have one, but may be able to help from the reference materials. What are your questions?
    Igitur si vis pacem, para bellum -
    - if you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Quote Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
    If I remember correctly, this variation is documented in Sturgess and in Hallock and van de Kant's Mauser Luger book.
    I don't have one, but may be able to help from the reference materials. What are your questions?
    Thanks Marc: I have looked carefully at Sturgess' comments and 221 differs as follows:

1. The TC logo is not precisely centered for and aft. It is about 1 mm toward the rear of the receiver.
    2. DE/63 marks are correctly placed but do not have foreshortened wing feathers.
    3. The letters of the inscription on the right receiver fork are correct except they appear to be a skosh
    larger than Sturges depicts which lengthens the space occupied by about 2 mm and crowds the DE/63.

Cc/U and serial number font/placement appear to be correct. The finish is very good, perhaps too good when considering that there is excessive pitting on the barrel crown which is inconsistent with the pristine breech block face which looks to be factory new. The bore shows very slight land and groove use.

So, my question is this: Are Sturgess' comments to be taken as pertinent to all known TC's in the Security Forces contract or are slight variations observed ad noted in 1-3 above?

One more thing; the SN and DE/63 Stamping on the barrel both have raised metal and appear to have been applied before bluing. Is that normal? All other markings do not have raised metal.

Thanks again for your response

Harley
    Harley

I am not sure that a 1mm drift in centering the chamber stamping is outside manufacturing tolerance. Assuming the die itself looks right, I would not be too worried about that.

Photos would help with the WaffenAmt and barrel stamping questions.

Marc: the attached picture is intended to show the DE/63 and the placement of the inscription on the receiver. Notice that the inscription is further forward c.f Sturgess and the DE/63 is quite different.

HarleyAttachment 372642
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harley

It seems that there is a difference based upon whether your gun has a "v" serial suffix (normal for Mauser commercial sales, but apparently not for the TC Lugers) or not. Joop suspected that those with "v" suffix letters were made post war

Joop documented characteristics here:

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...Mauser-Banners

SN 221 does not have a suffix, v or otherwise.

Harley
    Harley

From everything I have been able to garner I must conclude that 221 is an imposter. The single biggest flaw is the DE/63 marking. Two different dies used, both of which are of very poor quality.
    Harley

Harley,

TC Luger SN-128 was on the Julia auction back in 10-2016. It was their Lot # 3149 coming out of a German collector's hoard. It was a No Sale...apparently not hitting a reserve.

SN-128 was one of the non-v suffix guns Joop had listed as "Authenticated" in the related Discussion Thread Marc linked to :

The serial numbers that have been found so far:
    Police 61 - Authenticated
    Police 101 - Authenticated
    Police 128 - Authenticated

Here is the auction link with a few good photos and details

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3149-394/

Here is a close-up of the stampings on the right side of this pistol and your pistol, side-by-side,

The lower-case "r" letters on both pistols sure look to have lots in common with each other.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best Regards, Pete...

Thank you Pete....There are similarities but some differences also. Is the difference in milling cuts on the top front of the receiver anything to be concerned about? I would thing that with SN's this close together the cuts would be more alike. Am I being too nit pickey?

Thanks again....Harley
    Harley

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast