Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M7 Roth-Steyr 8mm springs

Default M7 Roth-Steyr 8mm springs

I recently acquired a nice 1907 Roth-Steyr 8mm Repetierpistok. The pistol functions except for being able to use the little square "hold open" button at the top of the slide on the left slide. I am not able to use that function and manually load ammunition. At this time I also do not have a charger/stripper clip for the gun. Upon disassembly the recoil spring is a flat wound spring but from pictures I have seen of the proper spring, this one is not it. I am now not sure if the "trigger return plunger" is correct either. I could really use some expert advise here. If anyone can provide me with the demensions of a proper spring with the correct tension ( i.e. 12lb, 13lb, 14lb, etc) or where I could obtain the recoil spring, trigger return plunger and a striker spring it would be greatly appreciated.

Steyr 1907 Spring 2.jpg

Your flat wound spring looks different from mine - but both still flat wound - Hmmm! Don't have mine readily available for measurements - maybe later. Which location manufactured your M.07? Look thru the old posts - I know I posted some web addresses for some parts. Jeff
    RSspring.JPG

Like this post with links for spare parts:
    http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...highlight=roth
    (If the link doesn't work - cut and paste it or search yourself in the 1900-1918 Austria-Hungary Pistols and Holsters forum for thread started July 31st 2014)
    Last edited by MadMagyar; 03-18-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added link

The end of your plunger looks fatter (larger diameter) and made to fit the ID of the spring. Not saying your Spring or Plunger are "incorrect" - could be just different and still factory correct. So, if you bought a Spring, it may not fit your Plunger - or if you bought another Plunger, it may not fit your Spring. Very curious!

And the button you were first referring to is springless - the button is the spring itself. When the slide is locked back by the magazine follower - it needs to be pulled back about another 1/4" or so before you can push the button in and lock the bolt to the rear.
    Jeff
    Last edited by MadMagyar; 03-19-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Corrected nomenclature

So I couldn't help myself - went and dug the girl out:
    OD = 0.405"
    ID = 0.276"
    Coil Width = 0.028"
    Coil Thickness = 0.065", confirmed by (OD-ID)/2

Foe what it's worth, here's mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    They say I have ADD, but I don't think they know...HEY! LOOK! A CHICKEN!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
    The pistol functions except for being able to use the little square "hold open" button at the top of the slide on the left slide. I am not able to use that function
    Why not? Did you pull the bolt all the way back?

Here is mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pecunia Vincit Omnia

Quote Originally Posted by MadMagyar View Post
    Your flat wound spring looks different from mine - but both still flat wound - Hmmm! Don't have mine readily available for measurements - maybe later. Which location manufactured your M.07? Look thru the old posts - I know I posted some web addresses for some parts. Jeff
    RSspring.JPG

Like this post with links for spare parts:
    http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...highlight=roth
    (If the link doesn't work - cut and paste it or search yourself in the 1900-1918 Austria-Hungary Pistols and Holsters forum for thread started July 31st 2014)
    Jeff.... Thanks for the picture and the link. I'll check them both out. Your picture only confirms my suspecions that both the spring and the plunger have been "bubbad". My pistol was made by Styer, marked Waffenfabrik Steyr with a Wn/Crest/10 on the rear.

The end of your plunger looks fatter (larger diameter) and made to fit the ID of the spring. Not saying your Spring or Plunger are "incorrect" - could be just different and still factory correct. So, if you bought a Spring, it may not fit your Plunger - or if you bought another Plunger, it may not fit your Spring. Very curious!

And the button you were first referring to is springless - the button is the spring itself. When the slide is locked back by the magazine follower - it needs to be pulled back about another 1/4" or so before you can push the button in and lock the bolt to the rear.
    Jeff
    Jeff, If I can not find a "real" spring and plunger that is factory, then I do have a gunsmith with about 50 years experience that will make me both. The hold open does work correctly if I remove the "bad" spring. With the srping in the way it is wound the "wrong" way, when compressed it is too long to engage the hold open button.

So I couldn't help myself - went and dug the girl out:
    OD = 0.405"
    ID = 0.276"
    Coil Width = 0.028"
    Coil Thickness = 0.065", confirmed by (OD-ID)/2
    Jeff..... Again, thanks for the information. This will really help me out. I hate to ask for another favor, but could you please provide the demensions for your plug? Overall length; length and width of the trigger reset portion; diameter and thickness of the portion that sits on top of the spring and the diameter and length of the portion that sits inside of the spring? From your picture, it looks like the "plunger" is "hallow" on the portion that fits inside the spring. If it is, could you provide the diameter of the hole and the depth????

Could you also include the number of coils per inch on the recoil spring? Would greatly appreciate it.

Ron

to everyone that responded..... Thank all of you for helping me out with this problem. I feel confident now that if I can not find an original spring and plunger to buy that my gunsmith can make me one. Your help is appreciated more than I can express! THANK YOU!!!

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast