Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Identification on what I believe is a commderical Luger

Three things: 1) I am very sorry your dad was cheated, it is infuriating to see novice enthusiasts taken advantage of; 2) I would be astounded if the pawnbroker was as ignorant as you have been kind enough to allow. If he has been in business very long and attends gun shows his knowledge of Lugers would be far more than rudimentary...it is his business to know these things and the fact that he nicked your father for ~$1800 points to his lack of scruples; 3) You wondered at how quickly your Luger was identified and how it was possible to glean such detailed information from the photos you provided. You posed your question in a venue inhabited by Luger collectors and students of its history for a number of years...in my case 60 years...so you got instant research. Your ex-cop father can rest assured that the identification information provided is correct.
    Best wishes and regards,
    Ron
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

That is something we are going to discuss. He isnt overly crushed--like you said and as I've told him: he still owns a nearly 100 yr old gun. He is a little bummed about the .30 ammo issue however.

I am considering returning to the pawn dealer and seeing if he will take the purchase back for a few Benjis less than what we paid for it, in order to justify the buyback. I'll happily provide him with the information I learned here as well, free of charge. If not, in the end, this gun isnt going to see a whole lot of range time (due to the caliber issue) and in 6 years will be a 100 yr old weapon directly tied to the interwar period (not in use, but as a way to pay down the Versailles debt). So still a neat piece.

Holding it is just a thing of beauty--it is so well balanced and comfortable. I am excited to put a few rounds though, just to see. Perhaps in the future I'll pick up a few for myself--one shooter 9mm and one collectible from the Imperial Era.

And now that its on my radar...I am interested in the P38 as a down the road purchase too. Seem to be pretty neat. The Germans sure did know how to make a firearm.

Steve,
    you are being too "nice", make the seller take the pistol back- it was misrepresented- period.
    Don't pay him $100 or even $10 for his "trouble". As Ron said, he just is not that "un-informed" or ignorant in the true sense of the word. I'd bring all sorts of pressure to bear on the rascal; public humiliation comes to mind.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 14,17,45
    Art. luger rear sight slide # 03

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
    Three things: 1) I am very sorry your dad was cheated, it is infuriating to see novice enthusiasts taken advantage of; 2) I would be astounded if the pawnbroker was as ignorant as you have been kind enough to allow. If he has been in business very long and attends gun shows his knowledge of Lugers would be far more than rudimentary...it is his business to know these things and the fact that he nicked your father for ~$1800 points to his lack of scruples; 3) You wondered at how quickly your Luger was identified and how it was possible to glean such detailed information from the photos you provided. You posed your question in a venue inhabited by Luger collectors and students of its history for a number of years...in my case 60 years...so you got instant research. Your ex-cop father can rest assured that the identification information provided is correct.
    Best wishes and regards,
    Ron
    Ron...in referecence to above point #3...this was the entire reason why I posted here! LOL...and please accept any apology needed if you felt I was impuning the knowledge (the incredible wealth of it, I might add) provided here to me, by you or anyone else. He was very accepting (and not TOO upset) of the information provided, as it matched up to some of the issues I pointed out last night--both in markings and in the problem of chambering a 9mm round. So thank you, again, for all the wonderful information. I can promise you a new itch has been sparked in me to really begin learning about these firearms.

As I stated in the prior post, the gun is just incredible to handle. I look forward to shooting it.

Absolutely no apologies needed...just wanted you to know you were in the right place.
    Watch out for the new "itch"...it has been with me for a long time, and I suspect it is incurable!
    Ron
    If it is made after 1918...it is a reproduction.

Guaranteed that there is no known cure!!! And welcome to the forum. Also do not feel to bad. All of us in this firearm collecting world have been taken. But if you use this lesson to study and learn, the loss will be lessened by future purchases. All part of the game. Bill

Steve, I would advise against shooting it until you resolve this with the seller - and hopefully get a full refund. Shooting it may prevent any of that. You could buy two 9mm shooters for what you paid for this one.

There truly was misrepresentation here - a 1916 Luger would have been a 9mm. If you have a tag saying 9mm that would be a bonus.
    My avatar is the Bulgarian word for "Fire", as seen on my 1908 Bulgarian Contract DWM Luger.

Seeking a 1908 Bulgarian contract Luger magazine (early DWM P.08) with a C suffix. See the example at http://luger.gunboards.com/attachmen...3&d=1414271032 (on the right).

Also looking for a DWM commercial takedown lever, serial #01.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacecoast View Post
    Steve, I would advise against shooting it until you resolve this with the seller - and hopefully get a full refund. Shooting it may prevent any of that. You could buy two 9mm shooters for what you paid for this one.

There truly was misrepresentation here - a 1916 Luger would have been a 9mm. If you have a tag saying 9mm that would be a bonus.
    Unfortunately it was displayed in a glass case, no tag. And like I said, it was a pawn dealer at a gun show--the liklihood of getting a full refund of this gun are slim. I'll see what dad wants to do--the other issue is the energy needed to make this an issue. My father is suffering from kidney failure...and we're working through the process of getting him a donation. Good news is: I match. Just gotta deal with a few little things, and then he gets my kidney and he's back in action. But for now, he's run down. He's always wanted a Luger, and he's relatively happy with his purchase. We'll see if he lets me go gung-ho and try and battle this guy. The man was nice, so I'm tempted to visit and see what he says

I do appreciate the concern and the superb welcome into this community of Luger owners, though. I look forward to staying active here, albeit asking more questions than providing answers for some time. Got to start somewhere though, right?!

Steve, best wishes and good luck with the whole kidney thing and we hope your dad is back up and running soon (and you too). You obviously have bigger fish to fry than this Luger, but it's still a shame that an ignorant or unscrupulous dealer might be able to get away with it. I do think it would be worth a try, especially if both of you can make it in to his shop.
    My avatar is the Bulgarian word for "Fire", as seen on my 1908 Bulgarian Contract DWM Luger.

Seeking a 1908 Bulgarian contract Luger magazine (early DWM P.08) with a C suffix. See the example at http://luger.gunboards.com/attachmen...3&d=1414271032 (on the right).

Also looking for a DWM commercial takedown lever, serial #01.

Best wishes for a full and non-complicated recovery!

But by all means let the seller know that you know he "hood-doo'd" you and that ain't "nice"!
    03man - Don Voigt
    Luger student and collector
    Looking for DWM mil.side plates- 14,17,45
    Art. luger rear sight slide # 03

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast