Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Mauser Banner Police info sought

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  skiffer 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I just recently purchased (it's on lay-a-way now) an all matching 1941 Mauser Banner Police P08 with a serial number of 71xx with the suffix of "X" and would like to see if there is any other info I can find out other than it's a 1941. I have a other WW2 German Police marked pistols and was able to find out how many were made and approx. when during the given year, sometimes down to the month. Is this kind of info available for Police Lugers? Month? Block series assigned to a division/post? How many made in the block series? I looked at the other posts and "stickys" and didn't see anything. Any added info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Rob

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm only into the antique firearm hobby for a couple of years and still have a great deal to learn. The only reason I hid the last 2 digits was because I have observed it done on other sites when I was researching the other Police pistols I have. Sauer, Walther, CZ and Mauser. Figured it was to have some sort of security. The full serial number of the Luger is 7187 X.
In a sticky on this site started by Abzug, I found that in 1941 there were only 5915 E/L Police pistols made. I'm confused as to your statement that blocks were for 10,000 units. Does this mean that 10,000 "X" numbers were available but only 5915 were used? I also noticed that there was mention of large, medium and small dates. What would the measurements be of these designations ?Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply and info. I looked at the sticky you referenced earlier but I failed to take notice of the picture showing the small/large date examples. DUH!
I don't have my pistol in hand yet but will look for the front sight post eagle.
Regards, Rob

Hi Rob,
* The attached URL leads to a "sticky" providing Banner Police info including 1941 small date and large date picture examples.

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?30425-Mauser-Banner-Police-P-08-s-1938-1942-E-K-F-C-L

* Use the "search" feature in this Forum to gather further similar examples. The discussions are educational.
* OBTW: Have you found a "stick eagle/L" on the forward side of the front sight post on your 7187x yet ??
* Trust this helps.

#5 ·
" Does this mean that 10,000 "X" numbers were available but only 5915 were used? "

Well, Police lugers were not the only ones made in 1941 to start. Blocks were 10k, but did not start over each year.
Police lugers came from commercial production, hence the "Banner" instead of the military code on the mid toggle link.

Most of this info can be found by reading the stickies, and thus getting the basics - also the search feature is useful.
Getting some background by reading many related posts is always a good place to start.

I don't know the size of the different 1941 large and small dates, this is first time I heard of a "medium"!
:)
Maybe one of the Mauser collectors can fill that piece in.

#8 ·
Hi Don,
While searching for info, I read somewhere that the "V", "W", "X" and "Y" blocks were set aside for police use, hence my confusion of the "blocks". Where I read about the 3 different size dates was in the 11th "sticky" from the top "Police Banner Data" there are four listings of a medium size date. 1940 s/n5334x, 1941 s/n1472y, 1942 s/n2869y and 1942 s/n7379y.
I dunno....
Thanks for replying and your advice.
Regards, Rob

#9 ·
Hi Abzug,
Is the first and last police S/N in the "X" block made in 1941 documented? That might help with getting me a rough estimate as to the season in 1941 mine was made. Just thinking out loud.... It's the thrill of the chase!
Thanks for your info.
Regards, Rob

#10 · (Edited)
Rob, I took a quick look at a few reference books and found some data on the early and late serial numbers recorded for 1941, "x" suffix, Mauser Police E/L P.08's:

World of Lugers, Costanzo- 5819x to 9995x

Third Reich Lugers, Still- 5800x to 10,000x (est)

The Mauser Parabellum, Hallock & van de Kant - 5801x to 9995x

1941 Date sizes: Small 3.3mm, Large 3.8mm.

There were also an estimated 2200, 1941 (and 41) Dated "y" suffix Police pistols manufactured late in the year.

Hope that helps in your chase.

#11 ·
Thanks for the added info. I appreciate your effort and I'm sure it will help me in my chase.
Rob, I took a quick look at some reference books and found some data on the early and late serial numbers recorded for 1941, "x" suffix, Mauser Police E/L P.08's:

World of Lugers, Costanzo- 5819x to 9995x

Third Reich Lugers, Still- 5800x to 10,000x (est)

The Mauser Parabellum, Hallock & van de Kant - 5801x to 9995x

There were an estimated 2200 1941 (and 41) Dated "y" suffix Police pistols manufactured late in the year.

Hope that helps in your chase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.