Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Which to choose?

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Dwight Gruber 
#1 ·
I have the opportunity to trade for two differentLugers. One is a 1900 DWM Swiss Contact Luger in 30 Luger caliber and the other is a DWM Model 1906 American Eagle Fat barrel in 9mm. Both are in similar excellent condition and have all matching serial numbers. Any thought to which one would be a better investment?

#5 ·
Yer a lucky guy! Personally the Swiss..made by DWM of course is to me a very interesting pistol. Historically the fat barrel's are $trong monitarily but some thought must go into current price comparisons, how long you are going to keep such an investment and where your interests lie. I buy guns that interest me for the enjoyment of having them not for investment so I cannot really answer any of this.
Caliber is no consideration because no one in their right mind would shoot either of these pistols.

#6 ·
That Fat Barrel is not a "Fat Barrel", it is the standard configuration for a 9mm 1906. A "Fat Barrel" Luger is the designation for the Model 1902 9mm and there is about $10K difference between a 1906 and a 1902 in that condition. If the 1906 American Eagle 9mm is truly original and not a restoration it is a much more difficult gun to find in that condition than the Swiss. I would look long and hard at both guns as they look stone mint...they very well could be but that puts them in the caution zone.
Ron

#7 ·
Likewise not so much as a investment but for pride of ownership. For me it would be the AE Fat Barrel as IMHO more unique. The Swiss is beautiful but personally I have never been a fan of the .30 barrel profile.

#11 ·
The both appear to be re-finished, though nice jobs. Ron has ID'd the 9mm for you. I believe the Swiss 1900 may be the best choice of the 2, or 3 if you included the navy .

#14 ·
As others have indicated, both do look refinished/restored.

The AE has some "tells".

Part of the Eagle's body and tail feathers are missiing. Metal sanded away during the metal prep for the re-do.

And the top of the pin through the toggle knob on the left side appears to be blued-over and not "in-the-white".

In regards to Norme's comment about the "Mark of Shattuck"...cropped and enlarged that area of the right frame "ear". I do not think I see the mark as it is usually more circular and the area under the old sticker was usually a bit lighter in color.

For new members, there is the Discussion about this "mark", go to Post # 1 :

http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?43434-A-Mark-of-Shattuck&highlight=Mark+Shattuck

Swiss is redone as well..

This seller is not doing you any favors by claiming his guns are "original".

If he is sending more photos, ask for a photo each gun with its thumb safety lever in the "up" position so the shape of the polished area at the lower part of that area can be seen. That is also a good place to look for evidence of a re-done finish, as well.

#21 ·
Peter...

Ralph is not known to have used that round inventory-number sticker in the recess of the left frame "ear".

That would just get all chewed up when a customer tried to move the thumb safety lever up/down.

IIRC...his sticker was around 3/4" in diameter. Whatever is on the left side does not seem to be that true round shape, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.