Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1914/1934 Mauser Magazines

Default 1914/1934 Mauser Magazines

I have been branching off into Mauser Pocket pistols. 1910, 1914, early 1934.

I recently aquired a 1914/34. The seller inadvertently forgot to include the magazine. It arrived today and I am pleased that it seems to be unusual.

The only dedicated reference that I have is Pender's book. So I am hoping that some of the Mauser collectors will jump in and educate me. Below are 4 variations of Mauser Magazines.
    L to R:

Early Square front "Split Tail".

Square front with indent.

Square front with Banner.

Round front with Banner.

Download Attachment: [img]images/icon_paperclip.gif[/img] 112_1244.JPG
    95.49¬*KB

The third one is the one that arrived today. The only mention of it in Pender's is with a Weimar Navy marked 1914.

This is the first Square Front with Banner that I have ever seen.

Are they common and I have just not run across one before?

Thanks for any input...

Ron

Ron, If I'm not mistaken, the mag. with the rounded front and marked Mauser on the bottom is the correct one for the 1934 Mauser. The squared ones are for the 1914 models but not sure what particular time period. (I also like collecting those Mausers too)
    Joe
    JOSEPH MAY

Ron,
    There are also square front smooth bottom mags (no Banner). The square front banner you show also has cliped corners which I believe is correct for late 1914s and early 1914/34 transitionals. Penders information is not complete for magazines. John LeCroix published an article in AutoMag on Mauser pocket pistol mags but I do not think it was conclusive. He was in the process of gathering data. This is an area of reseach that I have a interest in but I do not have enough data to provide much more that you already know. Hope this is helpful to you!
    B. Mason
    NRA life member, NAPCA member
    Aim small, miss small.

Joseph and Burgess,

Thanks for the information. Then this would be correct for the 1914/34 pistol. I was kind of surprised when I opened the package. I had never seen one before, but I guess there is alot that I haven't seen.

Ron

Hey Ron, FWIW, I have two round front Banners for my 1934 and a square front indent and square front Banner for my 1914. I haven't seen a split tail before. Thanks for the pics!!

Ron, I asked Jim Shaffer, the mag. and gun parts guy, if he ever saw a split tail 1914 or 1934 Mauser mag. In over 40 years selling parts, he has never seen one. Do you think someone made some adjustments to a 1914 mag.? (He described, in detail, all the ones in your picture but not the split tail one)
    Joe
    JOSEPH MAY

Ron, for what it is worth, I have the same mag square front, clipped corners with banner on bottom, it came with a Model 1914 sn 1941XX. I also have a mag question. I just picked up a mag for a model 1910. Blued floorplate, body in the white, the only thing that makes it different from my other 25 cal. Mauser mags, is this one has Mauser banner on the right side of the mag body. Any idea what period pistol this mag was intended for?

thanks, Frank

Frank & Joseph,

I believe that the "split tail" is a legitimate variation. Very early I believe. This one is out of an Imperial Army WWI production pistol. The name is collectors nomenclature for this variation. I have seen 1 or 2 others.

Frank "runner",

Sorry, I can't help with your mag. I am just recently seriously getting into Mausers and am learning knew things about them all of the time.

Ron

Ron,

From memory, I have a split tail mag. I dont remember with what pistol it came...I'll have to check those Mausers. I also have a couple of 34s with the round front / Banner base type mag. This posting is quite interesting as I believe this is a ``grey area`` in Mauser collecting...

Marc

Ron,
    Interesting topic because I have been looking for an extra one of these for a long time. The three mags with the banner base and clipped corners squared front which are on the pistols I have are all Naval marked. Two are the M/Anchor with a N-Property number and the other is the O Property number which is not marked with the M/Anchor. Hope this helps.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast