Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Luger cleaning & disassembly

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Edward Tinker 
G
#1 ·
Hey Gang-
Great forum and glad to see all the help here. I am about to sound like a complete bozo/novice in asking this, but I just aquired a new 1939-42 Luger and 1939 holster(with capture papers!), but have no idea how to disassemble the darn thing to clean it. The barrel looks okay and is not pitted inside, but also looks like it has collected dust over the last 60 years. The finish is about 60%.
Also, any ideas on how a sergeant in a 9th Armored Ordnance Batallion would have gotten ahold of this? Surely he would not have been on the front line to have taken it directly from the German soldier, or would he have? Were ordnance men on the front line?
Thanks, Paul

#2 ·
Paul, welcome to the forum!

To take it apart, there are several ways, push down on the barrel against your leg, hand etc (unloaded of course) and at the same time turn the take down lever down. Pull it out and the top half will slide off. One thing to consider, don't strip it all the way down, i.e. every little part down...

Few vets brought a gun all the way from the battlefield to home, a huge majority of troops picked them up, traded, bought or stole a gun and brought it home.

There were piles and bins full of captured equipment after the war, and troops were allowed to bring stuff home with them.

Ed

#7 ·
yes, I use hoppes or use breakfree.

don't oversoak anything, a good cleanign does not mean tear it all the way apart and buff the hell out of it :)

when taking grips off, be careful, it is easy to break a piece off (the million dollar chip as they say), take screw out, then from the inside of the mag well, push gently as you pry from the outside.

clean, then wipe down lightly with oil.

ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.