Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1915 DWM Artillery, "9" in Grips, All Matching

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Burkhard45 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum, although I am on several other forums and militaria pages.

This is my first Luger. It is all matching, except the magazine, which is 4 numbers off from the rest of the gun. Grips are matching as well. Bore is like a mirror, action is tight.

What makes this gun unique is the "9" carved into the grips on either side. I cannot tell if they were once red or black filled.

A few questions,

1: Is it possible given the close number to the rest of the gun that the magazine in it is the one that came from the factory?

2: Do the "9"s add any sort of collectability or value? Do they appear to be original to the gun?

Not for sale, my first Luger for my collection.
Any and all thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thanks, Hayden

See less See more
#2 ·
Magazine- no chance it would be a "factory error", many people want it to be - but it came from the factory with two fitted magazines numbered to the pistol.

Nine in the grips- Not likely to be original, "9"s are sometimes seen on 1917 Artillery pistols, but not earlier ones. Anything is possible, but they would not "add" to the pistol for me. They appear a little too fresh and sharp. JMHO.

Here are picts of some Nine marked artilleries I have collected.

Two are mine, the one from GA I saved pictures from their auction.

#4 ·
Nine in the grips- Not likely to be original, "9"s are sometimes seen on 1917 Artillery pistols, but not earlier ones. Anything is possible, but they would not "add" to the pistol for me. They appear a little too fresh and sharp. JMHO.

I agree..too small as well.

Here are picts of some Nine marked artilleries I have collected.

View attachment 406305 View attachment 406337 View attachment 406313 View attachment 406345 View attachment 406321 View attachment 406353 View attachment 406329

Two are mine, the one from GA I saved pictures from their auction.[/QUOTE]

#5 ·
I've seen pictures of some "small" nines; these look too fresh to me- and the grips don't exactly match the condition of the balance of the pistol- a little strange.

Maybe you could post pictures of the markings/numbers on the inside of the grips?

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.